Edward Stockwell: Perks of Being at TSTV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Beloved by his friends for his satirical tweets and sarcastic sense of humor, funny man Edward Stockwell entertains people on and off camera. As head writer for the show Sneak Peek as well as an Entertainment Director at TSTV, he enjoys the privileges of attending awesome film and music events, interviewing celebrities on the red carpet and attending his internship at Clear Channel Radio; however the perks did not come easily. As a sophomore radio-television-film major, Edward’s drive and determination propelled him to a coveted position within TSTV where he has the unique opportunity to express himself and follow his passions.

HCTX: How has your experience at TSTV helped you personally and professionally?
Edward Stockwell: Personally, it’s where I’ve met most of my friends at UT. Professionally, it’s put me ahead of the game of other RTF kids simply because I get to use a lot of the equipment that you don’t get to use until you’re in upper division. Working at a TV station and taking classes has done wonders for my resume. I don’t think I would have my internship if it weren’t for my work at TSTV.

HCTX: Of the opportunities you’ve been granted by TSTV, which has been the most memorable?
ES: My first interview during the first semester of my freshman year, when I had just started working there, they sent me to go interview Shailene Woodley (The Secret Life of an American Teenager) when “The Descendants” came out. It was my first and only sit-down interview and I had to dress up nicely and go talk to a pretty well known movie star. It was my first time doing anything like that.

HCTX: What’s been your favorite interview?
ES: Definitely Karl Urban at this past Fantastic Fest. I’m a huge Lord of the Rings nerd.
HCTX: What’s your dream job?
ES: My dream job would definitely be writing for a late night show like Jimmy Kimmel or Jimmy Fallon, or a show like The Colbert Report or The Daily Show.

HCTX: You would prefer writing to being the next Stephen Colbert?
ES: I’d rather write, since I’ve always loved it. I don’t mind being in front of the camera, but if I had to choose it would be to write. If I could do both that would be beautiful, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

HCTX: What advice do you have for students who want to pursue a career in
the entertainment industry?
ES: My biggest piece of advice is just not to give a damn about what other people think of you. If you’re comfortable doing what you’re doing and it’s helping you get to your goal then go for it.
Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.