This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Health trends have always come and gone, and growing up I remember when organic foods really started to take over in grocery stores. Organic foods have stuck around so long that I wouldn’t say they’re a trend anymore, however, many consumers associate “organic” with clean eating and a healthy lifestyle.

I don’t want to discourage anyone from eating their fruits and veggies, whether they’re organic or not, but there are definitely certain foods you should strive to purchase organic if possible. I think in recent years there’s been more awareness of what organic means, and why it’s important, however, many consumers still don’t understand the difference, so, let’s break it down a bit more.

What is “USDA Organic?” What does it mean when produce has that little symbol?

In order for produce to be labeled with the USDA organic symbol the product must meet the requirements set in place for organic products by the USDA. These requirements include using minimal pesticides and fertilizers which should be on a list of approved methods from the USDA.

So, is it really important to purchase organic products?

Yes and no. Some products don’t need to be organic, because the pesticides used have no way of actually interacting with the part of the product you will be consuming. “Nearly 70 percent of the produce sold in the U.S. comes with pesticide residue,” according to a report published by the Environmental Working Group in 2019.

The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has created a list of which products to purchase organic, and which are safe to purchase non-organic.

The EWG’s “Dirty Dozen” Products to Purchase Organically for 2019 (Source: EWG’s 2019 Report)

1. Strawberries

2. Spinach

3. Kale

4. Nectarines

5. Apples

6. Grapes

7. Peaches

8. Cherries

9. Pears

10. Tomatoes

11. Celery

12. Potatoes

The EWG’s Clean Products for 2019 (Source: EWG’s 2019 Report):

1. Avocados

2. Sweet corn

3. Pineapples

4. Frozen sweet peas

5. Onions

6. Papayas

7. Eggplants

8. Asparagus

9. Kiwis

10. Cabbages

11. Cauliflower

12. Cantaloupes

13. Broccoli

14. Mushrooms

15. Honeydew melons

Izabella is a transfer student studying journalism at UT with an interest in social justice reporting. She enjoys reading, photography, podcasts, and cuddling with her dog, Jinxx.
Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.