DKR to ATX: Transitioning Game Day Outfits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

When football season rolls around every fall, the excitement makes us spend loads of money on everything burnt orange and white, more money than a girl could ever dream of. There’s nothing that screams, “Texas Fight!” more than going to the game dressed to the nines, in your boots and school colors. However, all that goes out the door the second football season ends. The stockpile of Longhorn inspired fashions covered with a plethora of UT logos just don’t seem as wearable for the other nine months of the year! But fear not! Here are few tips to transform your look from festive game days to fabulous everydays.

1.  Dressed up

There’s something oh-so-simple about throwing on one item of clothing and immediately looking put together. The mock turtleneck is a trend that has been showing up EVERYWHERE this season. It gives you a chill, vintage vibe while also looking incredibly chic and modern.  Pair this with chunky jewelry, a great floppy hat and some booties for a great boho look that will take you out of DKR and into the real world. 

2. The deep V

Low cut doesn’t always have to mean scandalous. This romper will have people gasping for all the right reasons. The allover lace and loose fit give it a sweet feel, while the deep cut adds a little bit of sass (and what’s a Texas girl without her sass?). When the weather gets a little cooler, throw on a giant blanket sweater, motorcycle boots and layer on a few necklaces. This outfit will keep you looking cozy, yet effortless, no matter where your day takes you. 

3. Fringe swing

Suede and fringe are one of those couples that are just made for each other. This 70’s inspired look has ACL written all over it. There’s something really fabulous about clothes that move with your body. Just picture how gorgeous that fringe will look when you’re dancing around to your favorite artists. Combined with black cutoff shorts, a few giant cocktail rings, and simple gladiator sandals, you’ll be ready to rock the music festival scene!

4. Whiteout 

This crisp white romper will be in your closet for years to come. The versatility and simplicity make it a timeless piece. Don’t bother listening to the haters that say you shouldn’t wear white after Labor Day!  You could toughen it up a little by wearing a heavy, denim or vintage army jacket and dark boots. You can also go the girly route and pair it with a fabulous pair of strappy heels and bright jewelry. The options are truly endless!

Game days have a very specific look, but hopefully these tips prove that you can have amazing style that is inspired by the 40 acres, long after the stadium lights go off.