This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Happy Hispanic Heritage Month!

As a first-gen student, September-November is a very exciting and nostalgic time for me. From Hispanic Heritage Month to Mexican Independence Day to Día de la Raza. My absolute favorite holiday, however, is quickly approaching: Día de Los Muertos.

What is Día de los Muertos?

Día de Los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, is a holiday celebrated across Latin America and by Latinos worldwide on November 1. It’s a day to celebrate the lives of those who have passed away and honor the legacy they leave behind. There are decorations and festivities in preparation for the souls of loved ones to come back for a night.

How to celebrate!

People celebrate this holiday in many different ways. You can go directly to the grave of the loved one, or you can create an ofrenda, or alter, in your home. Loved ones will decorate the grave or altar with pictures of the loved one, flowers, papel picado, candles, and anything significant to the person who passed. The journey back home is a long one, so food and drink are also offered. Typically this food and drink are the favorite snacks and juices the loved one enjoyed while they were alive.

Summary

All in all, Día de Los Muertos is a beautiful, colorful celebration of the people we love most and the continued importance they have in our lives, even in their death.

Latino Community at UT!

I love celebrating with my Abuelita because it gives us a way to connect to each other and honor my grandfather and other family who have passed. During Día de los Muertos I feel like he’s watching over me and that he knows we love & miss him.

– Olivia Lyles DeLuna, Freshman at UT

El Día de los Muertos is important for me because we get to celebrate our loved ones that have passed away with building ofrendas and making their favorite foods. It’s an important holiday for us latinos because we get to re-live with our loved ones that are no longer with us.

– Ximena Mireles, Freshman at UT

Mayahuel Crane is a writer and the Marketing and Public Relations Director at the Her Campus at Texas chapter. She is responsible for all new member recruitment, organizing open socials, fundraising, designing/ordering chapter merchandise, heading a committee, securing sponsorships, communicating with companies, the creation/growth of the Her Campus at Texas mentorship program, and general marketing of the chapter. She also created “Pinch of Politics,” a Her Campus news segment dedicated to making knowledge about current events accessible. Outside of Her Campus, Maya is an active member of her community and currently works for Justice for Children and EcoRise, two non-profit organizations dedicated to correcting the systems that harm the most vulnerable. She teaches elementary school students about mental health through Project Yellow and is a member of two pre-law organizations: Phi Delta Phi and Minority Women Pursuing Law. Maya has won “Best Feature for Current Events and News” twice for her “Pinch of Politics” articles and has successfully sustained her segment for over a year. She is a second-year Government and Mexican American Latino Studies double major at the University of Texas at Austin. Mayahuel is a huge political buff and loves to research and write in her free time. She also loves concerts, being with friends, and anything pink.