The Definitive Ranking of Austin’s Best Breakfast Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

1. Elizabeth Street Cafe

This is probably one of my all time favorite places in Austin because the atmosphere of the restaurant is basically my dream home. I should preface this by saying Elizabeth Street is in a converted house, but what they have done to it is magical. Not to mention the place is decorated in my favorite colors…blue, green and pink. They are a Vietnamese restaurant with a Boulangerie. I always get the breakfast Banh-Mi because the first time I ordered it I had no clue what it was but I was so pleasantly surprised I’ve been going back for more over the years. The Vietnamese coffee also blew me away, so get that, I prefer it hot but some of my friends prefer it iced. A friend really likes the house baked brioche french toast (it literally comes with ice cream). You can also just sit at their counter, munch on a croissant, sip some amazing coffee and read the paper. But please go, if only to appreciate the amazing decor.

Elizabeth Street Cafe is located at 1501 S. First Street Austin, Texas 78704. You can find more information here.

2. Annies Cafe & Bar

Annies has two locations and the first time I ate there I had no idea what it was called. I was pretty much exhausted but I stopped by this cute place that had subway tiles in the airport. I had the tomato soup and was floored. How could airport food be so good? A few months later, my spirit group hosted a brunch at Annies and I have been back many other times. So please go for breakfast. The tomato soup is superb. They also do wonderful granola, the toast is always fresh and the bacon is extra crispy.

Annies Cafe and Bar is located at 319 Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78701. You can find more information here.

3. Russells Bistro

The first ever breakfast party  I hosted was at Russells, the restaurant is tiny but they have a cute porch and the area around the restaurant is adorable. The wait can be incredibly long on Sunday mornings so plan to get there early, but once you do get a pancake, I prefer chocolate chip. They are perfection from the griddle and they come with strawberry butter. I have also had the eggs and bacon which are delicious as well. They do a mean bunch of potatoes with most of their breakfast plates too.

Russells is located at 1601 W 38th St Ste. 1, Austin, TX 78731. You can find more information here.

4. Counter Cafe

My best friend and I discovered Counter Cafe when we both had a rough week. So we were treating ourselves to a Friday breakfast, a rarity for both of us. We settled on Counter Cafe because we had seen it a million times before – it is right along Lamar near the original Whole Foods. The restaurant is t.i.n.y. They have a few picnic tables outside but if you are a party of two or more it is going to be tight. They use farm fresh ingredients so be ready for fresh, fluffy eggs, warm biscuits and large rashers of bacon. The best friend got a special, fried chicken on biscuits ‘n gravy and I think fell in love with the dish. I took my parents a few months ago and both of them loved it.  

Counter Cafe is located at 1914 E 6th St, Austin, TX 78702. You can find more information here.

Socialite, blogger, perfectionist; suffering from fomo and currently attending the University of Texas at Austin. Advertising major and member of Zeta Tau Alpha fraternity.