David Elkin: Making People Dance at SXSW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Most of us are daydreaming about spring break: the tan you’re going to get at the beach, the sleep you’re going to catch up on at home or the bands you’re going to see at South by Southwest. Plan II junior David Elkin is not only gearing up for who he’s going to see at SXSW, but who he’s going to play in front of as an official showcasing artist.

As one part of the electronic duo Bagheera, he’ll DJ during Austin’s biggest festival of the year.

HC Texas: For readers to have a little bit of background on Bagheera, how did it get started?

David Elkin: I’ve been a part of Bagheera since the summer of 2011 when Aidan (the other member) and I started DJ’ing around Houston. That’s how we initially started out: just DJ’ing without any of our own music at various clubs and DJ nights around the city. The original stuff is a recent development, and we knew we had to get serious with performing when we realized we’d be playing with Ghostland Observatory as our first show. That kind of forced us to sit down and think about what it was we wanted to do with our live set.

HCTX: Is it hard balancing that with classes and other things you’re involved in?

DE: So far it hasn’t really been an issue with school. Not having class on Fridays this semester definitely helps. Although, last semester we had to do a couple of drives at the break of dawn so I could make it back to class in time which were no fun.

HCTX: Is music something you want to pursue or is it more of a hobby?

DE: Music is definitely something I would love to pursue full time. Granted, I realize how ridiculously hard it is to reach that level but I’d love to try. That being said, it’s also a hobby and a fun one at that. I’ve gotten to see a lot of cool things and meet a lot of cool people that I know I wouldn’t have been able to without playing music.

HCTX: What’s the most fun part about being a DJ?

DE: The most fun part for me is seeing people dance to our music. Being able to look out at a crowd and see a bunch of moving bodies is a pretty exhilarating feeling that not many other people would get to experience.

HCTX: What are you most excited about as an official showcasing artist during SXSW?

DE: I’m most excited to play in front of people that haven’t heard our music before and might not have, if we weren’t playing the showcase we’re playing. That, and the artists’ backpack that comes with being an official artist is pretty sweet. I’ve wanted one for years.

HCTX: If people want to see Bagheera at SXSW, are there any scheduled shows you know of and can tell us about?

DE: The official showcase is Thursday, March 14 at Lamberts. We go on at 8 p.m. at that one. I know we’re playing the Discovery Channel’s Deadliest Catch party at Stubb’s on Saturday, March 9, and we’ll be DJ’ing in between acts as well as the after party inside.

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.