Wellness > Mental Health

Crawling To The Finish Line: Ways to Cope With Stress As We Near The End of The Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The end of the semester can be a difficult few weeks to bear with all that there is to do. As if grades weren’t enough, we also have to focus on registering for classes next semester, internship applications, and much more.

As time speeds by you might notice yourself undergoing an overwhelming amount of stress. Don’t worry, you are not alone. While we all manage our stress differently, the feelings are the same and there are a lot of things you can implement to help you manage the various levels of stress. Here is a list of things I’ve found helpful in dealing with stress:

1. Create A Playlist

Most of us might already be in the habit of listening to music to calm our nerves and distract our minds from the continuous buzz that hits with the realization of all we have to do. In my experience, it’s not easy to find music that will help my state of mind in the moments when I’m most stressed. For this reason, I’ve found it helpful to create a playlist of songs that are more likely to get me out of a funk and into a more productive and positive state of mind. Update it regularly to make sure you are never left without music that can be of support to you in stressful situations.

1. Social Media Cleanse

I know sometimes it might feel like the only place where you can find comfort is the internet, but decreasing your screen time and taking time off from social media can be beneficial to your mental health. It can also help clear your mind so you are able to process your emotions and meditate more effectively. Social media can be a great way to connect with others and stay up to date with what’s new, but sometimes it can foster feelings of loneliness, self-resentment, and anxiety. It can be a great outlet for creativity through content creation, but social media should also be used in moderation. If you feel yourself slipping into those isolating feelings, consider taking a break by temporarily deleting your apps and reaccessing your mental, emotional, and physical state of being. 

1. Be Kind to Yourself

Stress can make it difficult to prioritize your happiness and well-being, especially when deadlines and final projects are involved. Let alone any external factors that might contribute to the mountains of pressure we regularly face. Allowing yourself to feel the emotions without letting them consume you can be a difficult thing to navigate, so while you undergo the process of sorting through your anxiety and stress, remember to be kind and honest with yourself about where you’re at. Practicing self-love can take an immense weight off your shoulder and consequentially help you to receive love from others.

1. Find a hobby

It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, but having something that can help get your mind off the stress of life, can be one of the most therapeutic experiences. Finding a low-stress activity that can occupy your focus for limited amounts of time can help you disengage from negative thoughts. For example, not too long ago I was experiencing these intense waves of anxiety and they were becoming a bit too overwhelming. So, I sought help from one of the tools I was told could help: building legos.

“’Any repetitive activity – embroidering, sweeping or, yes, clicking together Lego bricks – can help strike the right balance between mental engagement and relaxation,’ said Carrie Barron, director of the Creativity for Resilience Program at the University of Texas at Austin’s Dell Medical School,” wrote The Washington Post writer Abha Bhattarai.

1. Ask For Help

If you are struggling, don’t shy away from asking for help. Whether it’s asking for extensions from your professors, reaching out to close friends and family, or reaching out to a professional, seeking help is always an option that can be beneficial. While social media and other platforms have helped the process of destigmatizing mental health and the resources needed to help those struggling, it can still be difficult and uncomfortable to advocate for ourselves and ask for help. Oftentimes we view this step as having some kind of invisible wall of shame surrounding the help we need, yet opening up about your struggles and letting others support you can be a healing and formative experience. 

Giving yourself the time and space you need in order to make sense of your situation can be key to implementing positive patterns. Stress is a common factor amongst college students and it can be easy for us to let it build until we are drowning in it, but taking proactive steps can be life-changing and hopefully helpful to whatever you may be going through.

Ilyanna Santos is an aspiring writer and journalist from Austin, Texas. She is currently studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin and is the Marketing and Social Media Director for Shamari Realty. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, and having a good cup of tea.