This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

If you know me or follow me on Instagram, you know I was always at a concert. Especially in the fall of 2023, I had a concert almost every week for a little over a month (I don’t know how I did it either). With loving all music genres and seeing over 20 of my favorite artists, I’ve experienced it all. Whether it was almost being sucked into mosh pits at Kendrick Lamar’s ACL set, living the feather boa vibes of Love On Tour with Harry Styles, or rocking to Foo Fighters – I’ve experienced it all.

Buying Tickets

Buying tickets can be one of the most stressful aspects when it comes to wanting to see your favorite artists, especially with all the Ticketmaster trauma we’ve encountered. One of my biggest tips for this is to always opt for presales rather than general public sales. You can get presale codes by signing up for your artist’s newsletter, participating in presale registration, or receiving Spotify presale codes via email (these are codes sent to you by the artists you listen to the most on Spotify). I’ve found this way to allow me to secure tickets at a reasonable price, avoiding inflated reseller prices. Through this, I’ve been able to attend so many of my favorite artists’ concerts, such as Kali Uchis, for only $50 during her Red Moon In Venus Tour.

Pit/Standing Room

I completely understand the excitement surrounding the pit experience, but when it comes to concerts with standing rooms or pit areas, there are so many things to take into account for the best time. One of my main things would be to be hydrated and eat a good meal before the concert. It can easily go over your head to do these simple tasks with the excitement you’re experiencing, but without staying hydrated and eating a good meal, the heat of the pit will get to you and you’ll not want to be standing for the entire show. 

Additionally, it’s best to dress comfortably for standing-room concerts since you’ll be standing for at least 4 hours. You can still dress cute but take into consideration what shoes you’ll be wearing. I’ve totally made this mistake by wearing my 5-inch platform boots to an Arctic Monkeys concert. I had the best view, don’t get me wrong but I literally could not walk out of the pit when the concert ended and was limping out of the Moody Center. 

Lastly, have concert etiquette. I’m sure we’ve all experienced that one person who kept pushing others to get to the front of the pit, so respect others’ personal spaces and be mindful of obstructed views. We’ve all waited the same amount of time for the show, so it would be rude to push your way to the front or purposely get in front of someone who might not be tall enough to enjoy the show.

Merch Lines

Going to buy merch is so exciting but it could get overwhelming when you can’t decide what to buy or want to wait in long lines. When it comes to choosing what merch I want, I always search the options on TikTok to see what they’ve had at previous shows. This helps me plan and save up for the items I want. As for navigating the lines, my strategy involves heading straight to the merch lines upon entering the venue, going during the opener (although I usually stay to watch them unless I don’t mind leaving), or I’ll wait until after the show, particularly if I have pit tickets, ensuring a more secure spot. In larger venues like the Moody Center, I also explore alternative areas, occasionally heading upstairs, as these lines tend to be shorter than those at the entrance. 

Venue Preparedness

This applies to any venue, whether it’s a stadium or a small outdoor space. It’s always beneficial to research the venue in advance to familiarize yourself with the layout, making it easier to locate restrooms, merchandise booths, or food and water stations. Additionally, consider investing in a good clear bag. Many venues enforce clear bag policies, so it’s best to be prepared and ensure that nothing is confiscated before the show. This way, you can pack essentials like your wallet, portable chargers, and ear protection. Yes, ear protection, it’s a necessity! I recently purchased some and used them at ACL; they were truly life-changing. Despite my initial skepticism, they effectively safeguard your hearing without compromising the music experience. We’re not trying to get tinnitus in our 20s!

Have Fun!

You waited for this concert for so long you deserve to experience it to its fullest! Record all the videos you want, sing along to every song, and dress in whatever way makes you feel the best. This concert is all about your personal experience with your favorite artist, so embrace it exactly how you want it. An extra tip for recording videos: if you have an iPhone you can change the settings of your videos to make them extra crisp. I have mine set at 4k and 60fps – it makes my videos clearer than my eyesight. 

Overall, each concert is a different experience, and I’ve shared some insights that I’ve gathered from my countless dos and don’ts. Whether it’s conquering the Ticketmaster battle or making the most of your concert experience, I hope my tips are helpful and you enter your concert era soon!

Hi, I'm Natalia (she/her), a second-year student majoring in Mexican American Latina/o Studies with a minor in Law, Justice, and Society at the University of Texas at Austin! My articles cover a wide range of interests, from fashion and concerts to a deep commitment to activism and social justice. Eager to explore a broad spectrum of topics, I aim to touch on everything from beauty and culture to the important issues that shape our world. I hope my writing serves as a platform to create a safe space and shed light on mental health challenges and political complexities faced by individuals from diverse backgrounds.