College Decision Day: 5 Things to Consider Before Signing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

National College Decision Day is May 1, 2017, and for all of the high school seniors out there, it is a day that sets them up for the rest of their life. While some have had their hearts set on a specific school since their baby days, others are still staring at the pile of acceptance letters frantically trying to narrow it down and make their choice.

But there are many things to consider before signing the line and submitting your first payment, and if you’re stuck between the last few, here are a few tips for how to lock in the school that’s best for you.

1. Consider the costs.

Unless you are fortunate enough to pay out of pocket, or your tuition is covered completely by scholarships, the cost of tuition and housing is the first thing you should consider when making your final decision. Yes, financial aid will help some, and yes, student loans are typically set up in such a way that you can pay them back with little to no interest, but in the end, you should choose the college that offers the best financial aid package as well as the best education quality you can get. If you’re stuck between a public university out-of-state and one in-state, for example, choose the in-state option. Unless, of course, the out-of-state one is absolutely worth the dramatic increase in cost (consider location, ranking of the school, etc.).

1. Location.

Obviously location is a big deal-regardless of whether you’re staying in state or flying out of the country. Even if your heart is set on going somewhere as far away as possible from home and the people you went to highschool with, consider all of the little things. The weather, for example. Dying to go to New York, but you’ve lived in Texas all of your life? Make sure you can handle the freezing temperatures, drier air, and busy city smells. You may not think that something as casual as the weather will have an effect on your college experience, but if you drastically change climates and aren’t prepared, it could make or break your overall experience. Consider the size of the city as well. If you come to a large city from a small town, you’re throwing yourself into a completely new environment. Think about your ideal location, and see which of your college options fits best. A happy you equals a happy college experience.

1. Food.

The price to eat in college is ridiculous, and you’re going to miss those home-cooked meals that you often complained about back at home. Even if you can afford to eat out everyday, eventually you will get tired of it. It’s just not the same! If you’re planning on cooking your own meals and not using a meal plan, be aware of the different costs of groceries and how much you are budgeting to spend each week. Will you be dining on campus or off? Either way, it is important to consider the types of cuisine that will be available to you while going off to college. If you’re staying in-state, the food may not differ much between cities or towns, but if you’re planning to head out, take into consideration the types of foods you may be exposed to. If you’re a picky eater, don’t travel across the country and expect to eat foods you are familiar with. And even if the state has restaurants with your favorite types of food, just remember that the taste will vary, unless it is a national food chain.

1. Transportation

While having a car is extremely convenient, most freshmen aren’t encouraged to bring cars onto campus, as parking spots are reserved for upperclassmen, faculty, and grad students, so consider how you will be getting around, and what the campus’s location is like. Is there a city-wide bus system available to students? Is is free or do they charge? Public transportation is a huge relief to have in college, as it is often free or discounted to students, and it saves you the hassle of having to find parking or pay for permits. But also consider how you are planning to come home, and the costs tied with that. Flying? You probably won’t be able to visit home as often as you could if you were closer and could drive, so you may miss birthdays, or smaller holidays like Thanksgiving. Even if you do bring your car, be wary of ridiculous parking fees, limited parking availability, and your friends’ dependency on you always driving them around.

1. What the university values.

Let’s be straight forward. If you’re liberal and choosing to go to a very conservative school, consider what you may be surrounded by. But more importantly, consider what values the university you choose holds. All universities value their students (you’re giving them money, duh), but do they care about women’s rights, student safety, diversity, sexual assault? Are they supporting student organizations that stand to fight against some of the most common issues in college, or are they staying silent? Here at UT Austin, we promote student equality, diversity, safety, and anti-sexual assault organizations because we are all Longhorns first, and Longhorns take care of each other. It is important to consider these values when choosing where you’ll go for the next four years, because you want to fit in and feel happy at your school, not uncomfortable.

North East School of the Arts Creative Writing major grad currently attending THE University of Texas at Austin majoring in corporate communication! In addition to writing, I love to run, read, eat, shop, and be with friends.