Christmas Movies That Aren’t Technically Christmas Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I promise you, none of these are Die Hard.

1. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (2005)

This one shouldn’t take much convincing. It’s got snowy adventures, it’s got magic, it’s got family bickering, all essential components for a Christmas movie. I mean, Santa himself shows up! Albeit, it’s to arm a bunch of children with a bow, a knife, and a sword, but it’s Santa nonetheless!

1. The Conjuring 2 (2016)

I will die on this hill. Director James Wan, himself, tweeted “My aim was to make The Conjuring 2 a ‘Christmas-themed and set’ horror film. It felt very relevant with the characters and the world.” There’s several scenes that showcase tree decorating, holiday music, and more! So there you have it, yet another reason to love The Conjuring Universe.

1. Gremlins (1984)

Although this movie was released in the summer of 1984 and it’s about crazed little monsters that destroy a town, the Christmas setting can’t be overlooked. It has all the necessary elements of a great holiday watch: snow, string lights, decorations, toys, and caroling gremlins who show up on your doorstep and try to kill you! Oh and Phoebe Cates’ character “Kate” tells a horrific story about how her father died trying to go down the chimney one year. Now who wouldn’t want to watch that to get into the Christmas spirit!

Fun Fact: I was today years old when I found out Howie Mandel voices Gizmo. Mind blown.

1. Jumanji (1995)

This may come as a shock to some. In case you don’t remember, Jumanji concludes with a Christmas party scene and I’m running with it. No further explanation needed.

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (2001)

Basically this entire franchise is worth a rewatch during the holiday season, but Sorcerer’s Stone happens to be particularly festive. The scenes of the Great Hall all decked out are what dreams are made of. Not to mention it’s Harry’s first real Christmas where he unwraps his invisibility cloak (*cough* *cough* one of the deathly hallows). So, as far as I’m concerned, Christmas is one of the main pillars of this franchise!

Hello! I'm currently studying Advertising at the University of Texas at Austin. In my free time, I'm constantly baking, listening to true crime podcasts, and spending time with my family. Connect with me on IG: www.instagram.com/unorachel