Celebrating Black History Month: Honoring Legacy, Empowering Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

February marks the celebration of Black History Month, a time dedicated to honoring the achievements, contributions, and struggles of Black individuals throughout history. It is a moment to reflect on the resilience, creativity, and strength of the Black community, while also acknowledging the ongoing fight for equality and justice. Black History Month is a call to action to confront systemic injustices and work towards eliminating barriers to equality. 

As a college student, Black History Month offers an opportunity to engage in meaningful conversations with my peers, educate others, and take action towards a more inclusive future. College students like me have a unique platform to advocate for change within the community. Here are a few ways I believe we can actively participate in honoring Black History Month: 

1. Educate Ourselves: Take the time out to learn about the rich history of the Black community. Explore Black experiences through literature, documentaries, and other academic resources. Engage in discussions with peers and professors to deepen your understanding and perspective. Have an open mind. 
  2. Amplify Black Voices: Use your voice and platform to uplift Black voices and perspectives. Attend events, lectures, and performances organized by Black orgs on campus. This is a crucial step towards inclusivity and representation. 
  3. Support Black-Owned Businesses: Show your support for Black entrepreneurs and businesses by choosing to spend your money at the establishments. Your support can make a meaningful impact on the economic empowerment of the Black community. 
  4. Engage in Activism: Get involved in activism and advocacy efforts aimed at promoting racial justice and equity. Use social media to raise awareness. VOTE!!
  5. Reflect: Take this month as an opportunity for self-reflection. Examine your own biases and privilege. Commit to being an ally in the fight against racial injustice. 

Black History Month is a time to celebrate the past but also have hope for the future. We have the power to honor the legacy of the Black experiences who have paved the way for progress, while also working towards a greater future.

Hi I'm Dajaiya I also go by DJ. I am UT 26 so I'm a freshman yayy. I enjoy writing short stories, spoken word, and empowering messages. I aspire to inspire others and change the world for the better. IG: @_.mulann._