Build Parties- A Collegiette’s Wrap Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

It’s that time of the year again, Texas collegiettes! No, not that weird limbo between Thanksgiving and Christmas when no one wants to go to class…It’s build party season! Each year around this time, fraternities all across campus reveal the projects that they have spent most of the semester on, culminating in the most fun, most costume-filled, most theme-oriented parties all fall. 

What is a “build party”?

A build party is a huge party put on by a fraternity, usually in their back yard. Instead of a run-of-the-mill party, however, these events feature huge structures or stages built by the fraternity boys in keeping with their chosen theme. As one collegiette said, “Build parties are really fun because the builds make the party feel like it’s a completely different environment than just the regular frat house. They basically transform the space into something completely new.”

The preparations for such a spectacle begin weeks in advance, with pledges and actives alike working on various projects to bring the entire party together, creating not only a fun time, but an experience. One Alpha Tau Omega pledge told me that he sees the builds as a bonding experience between him and his brothers. “For me the greatest thing about the build parties is getting to be a part of something bigger than yourself and seeing that played out through each build.”

What parties happened?

Texas Sammy “Atlantic City”

If you’re looking for something classy, Sigma Alpha Mu’s Atlantic City which boasts over 100,000 lights covering each of its uniquely themed bars, is a build party staple. According to Social Chair Jake Dworkis, each bar must “fall into the category of moving, entertainment, or transportation,” Dworkis said. “In the past, we’ve done bars that resemble Alice in Wonderland, Tour de France, The Simpsons, and Las Vegas. The list goes on and on.” Featuring DJ Drip Drop, this party was one for the books. And as a fraternity is nothing without tradition, Sammy prominently displayed its 16’x16’ Monopoly board, a decades-old feature of this event. As Dworkis told me, “Atlantic City is an incredibly detailed, yet rewarding build…one that each active will remember for their [entire] lives.”

ATO “Lake Tahoe”

Craving the non-existent cold weather this time of year? Well your Uggs and cutest scarf were way welcome over at Alpha Tau Omega’s Lake Tahoe party! They transformed their backyard into a Winter Wonderland, and according to sophomore Vinny Kalkofen, all of the boys have spent long nights “until it [became] too late to make noise” working on this build. Their hard work coupled with their festive take on hot cocoa was enough to make you want to wear a parka… even in Texas!

[pagebreak]

PIKE “Swamp”

With over “50 years of tradition” was Pi Kappa Alpha’s annual Swamp party. They had DJ Vita performing as well as alligators, snakes, and more throughout this multi-level build. Make sure if you go next year, you rock your best swamp gear.

SAE “Jungle”

Someone had to be the one to throw down the gauntlet, and it looks like this year, Sigma Alpha Epsilon was the fraternity to do so. Each year, the fraternity spends an exorbitant amount of money on their Jungle build, creating a wilderness surrounding the outside of their house complete with “‘crashed plane,’ tons of trees, and plenty of lost guests,” according to one attendee.  Another guest says that Jungle has “got to be the most extensive build.”

Phi Delt “Heaven and Hell”

While their more extensive build party, Ranch, was a few weeks ago, the gentlemen of Phi Delta Theta hosted Heaven and Hell party. For this party, describing it isn’t enough- you just had to be there!

Build parties are definitely a highlight of a collegiette’s social calendar.  As one girl told me, “Build parties a just a fun way to mix it up rather than just have a late night… [they’re] always so much fun!”  So stock up on theme wear and get yourself to a  few build parties next year!

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.