Career > Work

Breaking the Bias: The Issues with Representation in AI and Machine Learning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Artificial intelligence (AI) has the potential to transform our world for the better, but as we continue to integrate it into our daily lives, it’s becoming clear that there are some serious issues with racial and gender bias that must be addressed.

One of the biggest concerns is the lack of diversity in the teams responsible for developing and training AI algorithms. Without diverse perspectives and experiences, biases can be inadvertently baked into the technology. For example, facial recognition software has been shown to have higher error rates for people with darker skin tones, leading to misidentification and potential harm.

Another issue is the data used to train algorithms. If the data is biased, it can perpetuate existing inequalities and discrimination. For example, algorithms used in hiring processes have been shown to discriminate against women and people of color, as they are often trained on historical data that reflects past hiring practices.

These biases in AI have real-world consequences, from the perpetuation of stereotypes to the reinforcement of discrimination and inequality. In the criminal justice system, algorithms used to predict recidivism have been found to unfairly target people of color, leading to longer sentences and more frequent incarceration.

So, what can be done to address these biases in AI? One solution is to increase diversity in the development teams responsible for creating and training AI algorithms. Additionally, data used to train algorithms must be scrutinized to ensure it is diverse and representative of all groups. Finally, there must be transparency and accountability in the development and use of AI, so that potential biases can be identified and addressed.

We have a responsibility to address the racial and gender bias in AI. By working towards a more diverse and inclusive tech industry and by being mindful of the potential for bias in the algorithms we use, we can work towards a future where AI is a force for good, not for perpetuating inequality and discrimination.

Vanna Chen

Texas '23

Senior Computer Science Major Sleepy, Funny, Addicted to Kombucha