Culture > News

Breaking Barriers: Celebrating Female Entrepreneurs and CEOs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As we celebrate Women’s History Month, it’s important to recognize and honor the contributions of women in all areas of life. Among them are the trailblazing female entrepreneurs and CEOs who have shattered gender barriers and paved the way for future generations of women. Through their ingenuity, leadership, and resilience, these women have challenged the status quo and demonstrated that anything is possible with hard work and dedication.

One such woman is Oprah Winfrey, who is not only one of the most successful businesswomen in the world but also an icon of female empowerment. Oprah’s media empire, which includes a television network, magazine, and book club, has made her a household name and a force to be reckoned with in the business world. Oprah’s success is a testament to her resilience and determination, as she overcame a difficult childhood and numerous setbacks to become one of the most powerful women in the world.

Another female entrepreneur who has made a significant impact is Sara Blakely, the founder of Spanx. Blakely started the company with just $5,000 and a mission to create a product that would make women feel more confident and comfortable in their clothing. Today, Spanx is a multi-million dollar company and Blakely is one of the most successful self-made female billionaires in the world. Blakely’s success is a testament to her ingenuity and her ability to identify a need in the market and create a product that meets that need.

In addition to entrepreneurs, there are also many women who are breaking barriers as CEOs of major corporations. Ginni Rometty, the former CEO of IBM, was the first woman to lead the company in its 100-year history. During her tenure, Rometty oversaw a major transformation of the company, including a shift towards cloud computing and artificial intelligence. Rometty’s success is a testament to her leadership skills and her ability to navigate the complex world of technology and business.

Another female CEO who has made a significant impact is Mary Barra, the CEO of General Motors. Barra is the first woman to lead a major global automaker, and during her tenure has overseen the company’s transition towards electric and autonomous vehicles. Barra’s success is a testament to her vision and her ability to lead a major corporation through a period of significant change.

In conclusion, let’s give a round of applause for these fierce female entrepreneurs and CEOs who are shattering glass ceilings and taking the business world by storm. These boss babes are inspiring us to dream big, work hard, and make our mark on the world. So let’s continue to support and uplift these trailblazing women and celebrate their incredible accomplishments. Who runs the world? Girls!

Vanna Chen

Texas '23

Senior Computer Science Major Sleepy, Funny, Addicted to Kombucha