This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Looking for a way to pass the time while on a long drive or while getting ready in the morning? You may want to check out the podcast app on your phone. I am a huge fan of podcasts and I find myself listening to them throughout the day while walking to class, putting up laundry, and cooking dinner. The cool thing about podcasts is that there are so many different amazing ones to choose from based on your interests. Whether you want to laugh, cry, learn, or stay updated on national and international issues, there’s always a podcast out there to help add entertainment and substance to your day. Here is a list of a couple of my favorites

• This American Life

• This American Life is a podcast that focuses on a different theme every week. A series of vignettes and perspectives come together to represent the theme, and in turn examine the human condition and what it means to be a member of a society. According to their website their “favorite sorts of stories have compelling people at the center of them, funny moments, big feelings, surprising plot twists, and interesting ideas. Like little movies for radio.” This American Life really does seem like a little radio movie. Every time I listen to an episode I learn something new. Definitely a great podcast to check out if you’re not sure what you’re looking for. 

• Risk!

• The first podcast I started listening to back when I was a freshman in high school, Risk! holds a place in my heart. The unique thing about this podcast is that it’s a place where people share true stories they never thought they’d dare to share, hence the name Risk!. Every week I listen to it, and every week I never know what to expect. Stories range anywhere on a spectrum from raunchy comedy to heartbreaking struggle. There is a story for everyone to relate in one way or another, and because of this Risk! is a place for people to turn to during tough times. It’s a roller coaster of emotions that’ll keep you on your toes, but one thing is for sure, you’ll never be bored. 

• The Moth

• The Moth is another good podcast where people come and share stories about their lives. The Moth presents another broad spectrum of stories ranging anywhere from light hearted comedy to times of grief and pain. The stories come from people all over the country from their weekly storySLAMS where people arrive at a venue and place their names into a hat to see if they get called to tell their story. A podcast with such depth, it is difficult to sum up in a few words, however, I think a member of their community on their website puts it best when he says “The Moth reminds me of how fascinating, brave, complex, and fragile we are. We have so much in common, yet every storySLAM is unique.”

• Crime Junkie

• Crime Junkie is a podcast run by two women who have been friends since childhood. They discuss various murder crime stories in American history, examining anything from burglars and kidnappers to family annihilators and serial killers. These stories are told in such a compelling way and bring awareness to the lives of the victims that were lost in such devastating ways. However, as it looks at real crimes and murders (sometimes very gruesome), this podcast is very scary. I don’t recommend listening to it alone at night. 

• S Town

• Actually a spin off of This American Life, S Town follows the story of a man named John who despises his town in Alabama. John, an incredibly eccentric and unique individual, sees so much wrong with how life in s***town and feels a need to do something about it. The podcast is riddled with stories about hidden treasures, relationships, murder, and oddly enough even the chemistry behind fixing antique clocks, all taking place in this s*** town in Alabama. This podcast will surprise you every minute and make you contemplate how different life in America is depending on your zipcode. One of my all time favorites, S Town is bound to keep you on your toes.

Cameron Crates is studying Psychology and Chinese at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys watching movies, being around friends, and long-distance running.
Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.