This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

With only a few months into the year, 2021 has given us an overload of new multimedia content. Between the latest Taylor Swift song and the newest Netflix hit series, it’s hard to keep up with the latest entertainment craze. 

Books have been no exception to this craze with many books scheduled for release throughout the year. Along with much-anticipated book releases, like the most recent installment of Sarah J. Mass’s “A Court of Thorns and Roses” series and “Rule of Wolves” by Leigh Bardugo, bookworms can look forward to several upcoming book-to-screen adaptations. Here are a few book-to-screen adaptations to look out for:

Shadow and Bone

Your introduction to the Grishaverse is soon on its way. Netflix is set to release a screen adaptation of Leigh Bardugo’s Shadow and Bone book series, written by Leigh Bardugo, on April 23. The series follows the main protagonist Alina Stakov (played by Jessie Mei Li) as she navigates her newfound powers as a Grisha, someone who practices small science.

While Starkov struggles to find confidence in her new abilities and find her place among the Grisha, she must fight for her freedom against the Darkling (played by Ben Barnes) and his ambitious desires. 

Get ready to immerse yourself in a captivating series as you watch Starkov combat the politics and dark forces that threaten her home.

The Summer I Turned Pretty

If you liked the Netflix hit movies of the “To All The Boys I’ve Loved” trilogy, then get ready to enjoy another Jenny Han book-to-screen adaptation. “The Summer I Turned Pretty” trilogy by Jenny Han is a compelling coming of age story filled with friendship, family, and gripping romances. 

The book-to-screen adaptation of this great story is set to be released on Amazon Prime with no official release date as of yet. Get excited to watch the main character Belly as she explores the realm of summer romances and learns what true love is. 

Dune

This sci-fi classic by Frank Herbert depicts interstellar civilizations and their noble houses as they struggle for power forming alliances and enemies to gain control. The complex novel tells the story of a youthful Paul Atreides (played by Timothée Chalamet) whose family governs the planet of Arrakis, which is the only source of the integral and powerful drug melange. 

The film adaptation of the novel is set to be released on October 1, 2021, almost a year after its intended release date.

The Selection

This series by Kiera Cass follows Prince Maxon as he embarks on a bachelor-style journey to find a wife. Thirty-five girls await their chance to elevate to the status of a princess and future queen as they experience the luxurious life of royals while they compete for the prince’s heart. 

Although there are not a lot of details available as of now about the future Netflix film adaptation, Cass said, “I’m very excited to finally be able to give you all a screen adaptation, and I’m hoping to have even more information soon.”

A Court of Thorns and Roses

Author Sarah J. Mass recently announced the upcoming book-to-screen adaptation of her fantasy novel series. The first book “A Court of Thorns and Roses” follows 19-year-old mortal Feyre Archeron as she begins her journey in the faerie lands after she murders a faerie. 

Currently, there are no official details for the project other than the release platform. “Ron Moore (creator of Outlander and one of my creative idols) and I will co-adapt ACOTAR as a tv show for Hulu! I’m currently hard at work writing the pilot with Ron,” Mass said.

Ilyanna Santos is an aspiring writer and journalist from Austin, Texas. She is currently studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin and is the Marketing and Social Media Director for Shamari Realty. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, and having a good cup of tea.
Chandler is a senior at UT double majoring in English and Chinese while pursuing a Certificate in Global Management. She currently serves as one of HerCampus Texas' Campus Correspondents and adores live music, dogs, friends, and mindful living ♥