The Best & Worst Things About a New Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The Best and Worst Things about a New Semester

Caroline Miller

Another year, another semester of classes. After winter break, jumping back into the rhythm of school can be brutal. If your winter break was anything like mine, the whole not being able to sleep for eleven hours a day thing will definitely be hard to adjust to. But let’s not ignore the fact that a new semester means a new start, and the not-so-happy things can certainly be tackled.

The Best

1. New Classes Registration seems years ago, but now it’s finally time for the new classes! Old classes are old news, and now’s your chance to leave the past in the past. Hopefully you’ve got some classes on your schedule that you’ve been looking forward to, and even if you’re getting ready for a tough semester, you still have an excuse to buy new notebooks and pens! Either way, a new semester means a fresh start.

2. New People & this is my personal favorite thing about new classes – new people! I’ve met some of my best friends in classes here, so every semester is the chance to see who else is out there. Try sitting next to someone new and striking up some pre-class conversation, or see if anyone would be down for making a study group!

3. Back to Austin AKA back to one of the most exciting cities in the world. Since I spend winter break napping and reading in the suburbs, a city with so much to do is a welcomed change. Start planning fun things to do now so there’s plenty to look forward to. Go on a hike while the weather is still beautiful, be on the lookout for concert tickets, try out a new restaurant… that’s the beauty of Austin – there is SO much to do!

The Worst

1. Stress Already stressed? You’re definitely not alone. That’s one of the worst parts of back to school, but it’s definitely manageable! Find things that make you happy and take study breaks to do them. I promise it’ll be more beneficial to you in the long run to put the textbook down and pet a dog rather than pull an all-nighter. Take a bubble bath, go on a run, watch your favorite movie, just remember to take care of yourself!

2. Sleep Which brings me to sleep. That’s always the first thing to go for me. I’m still not used to waking up for my 9 AMs, and it never occurs to me to go to bed early until I’m hitting the snooze for the fourth time. But sleep is incredibly important. It can be hard (trust me, I know) but try your hardest to prioritize sleep. You’ll feel so much better, and your body will thank you. Problems waking up? Make a “getting ready” playlist of all your favorites as motivation to wake up… and set an alarm where snooze isn’t an option!

3. Balance It was so much easier to hang out with friends over winter break when I didn’t have a quiz, 40 pages of reading, and a two-page essay looming over my head! But don’t let school totally take over your social life, and vice versa. As important as classes are, make sure you make time to enjoy the people you’re with. Even if you can just get a quick lunch with a friend or have a study (well, coffee) date, you can balance social and academics maybe a little better.

Regardless of the good and the bad, we’re back and there’s no stopping that! If it’s your last semester ever or just another stop on the way to summer, make the most of it. Make this semester the best one yet!

Caroline is a third year psychology and French major. Her hobbies include napping, crafting, and shopping. She wears entirely too much navy, spends entirely too much time at coffee shops, and laughs entirely too much at her own jokes (but hey, someone’s gotta do it). You can find her @carolineeelise if you feel so inclined.