Screen Shot 2019 10 17 at 20936 PMpng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Screen Shot 2019 10 17 at 20936 PMpng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The Lala

Best Spots in Austin for a Fall Picnic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Austin’s weather is currently fluctuating between the high 60s and low 80s on any given day (despite that cold front a few weeks ago), paired with the addition of the arrival of subtle fall colors in the trees, our city has put me in a happy fall mood. Planning a fall picnic is the perfect opportunity for a socially-distanced get-together with your friends. Here are the best spots Austin has to offer:

Green Space at Seaholm

This little green space in the middle of the Seaholm shopping center is a great place to grab Trader Joes, Nekter, or Baked Bear & soak up the sun. Plus, once finished, you can walk around Town Lake (only a few steps away). Pro Tip: Trader Joe’s validates your parking!

Mount Bonnell or 360 Overlook

Great for a weekend sunset “hike” (it’s just a short steep-ish walk). The view from the top is of scenic Lake Austin (the boats look so tiny). Bonus: the drive from UT is so pretty! (When I went with one of my friends, we saw an entire herd of deer in someone’s yard).

Zilker

Zilker is an Austin classic. Grab some snacks, drinks, a blanket (and perhaps bring a friend with a dog). The perfect spot to people & dog watch with views of the city skyline.

Lawn by the Tower

A great area to catch up on work, read a book, or sit with a friend. I get major UT pride when I sit there perched between the Tower and the Capitol.

Pease Park

A great park to relax in an eno or walk with friends. I like to head north (you walk through rock formations that make you feel like you’re in another age).

Hi, I'm Madeline Muschalik! This is my fourth year in Her Campus; I wrote for Her Campus at Wake Forest University before transferring to UT in fall 2019. Last year I was the Her Campus Texas Co-President and Campus Correspondent & it was so rewarding. I am excited to explore Austin and learn more about our university through Texas Her Campus. Some of my hobbies include running, reading, yoga, and traveling! I am a Public Relations Major and with a minor in Entrepreneurship and certificate in Creative Writing. Outside of Her Campus I am involved in Texas American Marketing Association, Moody Communication Council, a member of the Kendra Scott WEL Institute Student Council, Texas Kappa Delta, and I am a Transfer Year Interest Group (TRIG) mentor. I love UT & all the amazing opportunities (like Her Campus) that it has to offer!