This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

It’s mid-October, and Halloween is just around the corner. It is the time of year for spooky decorations, costumes, candy, and most importantly fun Halloween movies and TV shows. Every year, I feel compelled to watch something scary or funny related to Halloween. It really makes the holiday so much more exciting. If you also enjoy Halloween-related entertainment during spooky season, here are a couple movies and TV shows to check out this year.

Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus is a classic Halloween favorite. There’s nothing like a coven of witches stirring up trouble to help make you feel like spooky season is in full swing. This movie is especially great if horror movies are just not your thing. 

Scream

Another classic that is always a good idea to watch this time of year. The plot follows a group of teenagers as they are stalked by a masked maniac with a knife. Definitely a thriller, but still not overly scary, Scream is a perfect choice for a fun movie night with friends. 

Halloween

If you’re looking for something on the scarier side, Halloween is a perfect choice. Following a young Jamie Lee Curtis and the killer who stalks her during Halloween night, this film is bound to add some excitement to your spooky season. 

The Exorcist

Actually based on a true story, this film is not for the faint of heart. Full of disturbing scenes depicting a girl seemingly possessed by a malevolent spirit, this is a movie you don’t want to watch alone. In fact, when it came out in theaters, ushers would regularly carry smelling salts to wake up viewers who fainted.

Ghostbusters 

On the much more comedic side of Halloween movies, Ghostbusters never fails to provide both thrills and laughs. With such a fun plot, it’s hard not to enjoy. With the added bonus of a catchy theme song, this is definitely a movie you’ll want to watch again this year. 

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Though it has Christmas in the title, this movie has a lot to do with Halloween. Tim Burton’s whimsical masterpiece follows the story of Jack Skellington, the king of Halloween, and his discovery of Christmastown. A fun blending of holidays with twists and turns at every corner, this movie never gets old and never fails to bring a smile to my face. 

Cameron Crates is studying Psychology and Chinese at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys watching movies, being around friends, and long-distance running.
Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.