This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As the temperature starts to rise, so does the excitement of summer vacation and the anticipation to finally be back home with family and home cooked meals (no more Ramen noodles or Chef Boyardee). Although we’re not quite there yet, there are a lot of places in Austin that you should check out before saying good-bye to the good ol’ Forty Acres. So take a break from school and enjoy a refreshing swim with your friends.

One place I recommend is the Hamilton Pool Preserve: a natural pool that is  a favorite swimming spot for Austinites. I’ve heard so many great things about this place that I had to check it out for myself. It’s about 25 miles west of Highway 71 and it took me about 45 minutes to get there. I was amazed by the drive up there; it was very different from the Austin I have grown to know. All I saw were hills, trees, and huge mansions. 

Once you arrive, you will be asked to pay $10 for parking. Then you will walk down to your destination. It’s a quarter of a mile walk, but if you get tired there are benches placed around the trail so you can rest. I wore flip flops, but I recommend wearing closed toe shoes.
You will find people swimming, picnicking, taking pictures and enjoying the sun. It’s a longer walk, but you can also walk to the Pedernales River located on the other side of the trail. 

Hamilton Pool has a 50-foot waterfall that many people stand under.
The preserve closes at 6 P.M. and there are only 75 parking spots so get there early!

Mira Milla is a junior majoring in Journalism at the University of Texas and is currently interning at 'The Society Diaries'. 
Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.