This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

My freshman year I packed so much in my backpack, so I’d be prepared for anything. Over the years I’ve learned what essentials to always have in my bag, and what I can put in as needed. This allows me to not only fit more in my bag when I need to carry more for certain classes, but it also makes walking around campus a lot more comfortable because my bag is lighter!

Phone Charger + Power Bank

Purchasing a power bank was one of the best things I did last school year. I used it so much, and it saved me so many times when my phone would have otherwise died and there wasn’t an outlet to be found.

Chapstick

I’ve always carried a chapstick on me no matter where I go, beacause you never know when dry lips are going to strike. Nobody wants to deal with the uncomfortableness of chapped lips.

Planner

Silver macbook by planner and flowers
Pexels / Alana Sousa

Keeping my planner in my backpack helps me easily keep track of where I need to be, what I need to be doing and what I have coming up. It’s especially useful when having to make plans with classmates for group work, finding time for speakers coming to campus and scheduling impromptu interviews.

Laptop

smart phone sitting next to laptop with google pulled up
Pexels / Caio Resende

I nearly always carry my laptop with me. You never know when you might find some extra work time before you’re heading back home or to your dorm, and it’s so handy to carry your laptop so you can get some extra work in while waiting for friends or classes to start.

Band-Aids

I learned this the hard way last year. I got a painful blister on my heel, and I had to spend way more than I wanted to at Kins Market for a pack of band-aids. Now I always carry a few in my bag just in case of blisters or any other minor accidents that might occur.

Umbrella

I carry my umbrella rain or shine, because pop up showers are bound to happen. I have a small one that fits nicely in one of the pockets on my backpack for water bottles.

Water Bottle

Speaking of water bottles, I always carry one on me. There’s plenty of refill stations around campus, so I never have to worry about not being able to refill it. It saves money and it’s better for the planet, because I’m not wasting plastic water bottles.

Mini Stapler

I keep a mini stapler in my pencil case, and I can’t tell you how many times it’s come into use. Often times there aren’t staplers in the classrooms, so if you need to staple together something before turning it in everyone is scrambling to find one.

Izabella is a transfer student studying journalism at UT with an interest in social justice reporting. She enjoys reading, photography, podcasts, and cuddling with her dog, Jinxx.
Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.