BTC MAIN?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BTC MAIN?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

Back to School Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Happy Fall 2021 Semester! As I return back to the University of Texas at Austin, now in my second week of the fall semester, I have made a list of things I consider to be essential for returning back to campus.

Spotify!

Whether you are walking to your class, doing assignments, or preparing for the weekend, music is an essential part of that. Lately, I have been OBSESSED with making playlists for all of those situations! Albums that have been on repeat have been: Solar Power by Lorde, Donda by Kanye West, Wasteland, Baby! by Hozier, and Rumours by Fleetwood Mac.

Coffee/Energy Drinks!

As a college student, you have likely been in the position where you can not keep your eyes open during your morning lecture, wake up after a night out, or just need that extra energy boost. I sure have felt those feelings quite frequently these past few weeks. Through this, I have a few favorites! Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew is a must during the fall! I also have developed a slight obsession with CELSIUS energy drinks, specifically the Fuji Apple Pear and Wild Berry flavors. 

Google Calendar!

I could not recommend Google Calendar enough. This is quite possibly my most used application on my phone. Prior to the semester, I copied all of the important dates from my course syllabus, along with other dates I need to remember into my Google Calendar. I was able to color code each class and each category of events! As someone who loves organization, this is the perfect college essential to plan out each week and stay on top of your responsibilities. I have everything from exams to cleaning my fish tank to therapy appointments! 

Thrifted Dad Shirts!

Thrifting is such an affordable and sustainable choice for college students. It is also such a thrill because you never know what you might find! However, one of my favorite thrift finds are dad shirts. You know the ones! I literally wear one of those shirts every day with a pair of Nike shorts, and that’s the fit. If you take anything from this, definitely consider thrifting as opposed to buying new, as well as donating your old clothes!

Taking Time For Yourself!

College can be filled with nonstop action packed days, especially on the weekends. As fun as that can all be, I realized the importance of having time for myself. Whether that would be working on homework in my room, taking a walk around campus, driving to Target, or going on a sushi date with myself. It is almost like a time to collect yourself and truly reflect on where you are at. 

Honorable Mentions!

Mask and hand sanitizer! In order for this semester to remain in person and safe, it is essential that we all do our part in staying on top of our health. Make sure to bring a mask with you and hand sanitizer for whenever you are on the go! Stay safe.

Lauren is a Junior studying Government and Economics at the University of Texas. An avid coffee drinker and sushi fanatic, Lauren enjoys exploring the city, attending concerts, and discovering new music. Aside from writing, in her free time she can be seen reading, having weekly movie nights, and spending time with friends and family.