Wellness > Health

Austinites: How to Survive Allergy Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

If you’re like me, you’re a seasonal allergy victim. My apologies to you dear reader! Here are a few tips and tricks to get you through allergy season.

Medicine to heal the soul, and your runny nose

Whether it be an over-the-counter pill or nasal spray, find the solution that works best for you!

Pro tip: don’t wait until you’re feeling symptoms to take the medication, take it as a preemptive measure.

Don’t Roll around in the grass

Avoid your allergen triggers! This one is easy but often overlooked. After all, it’s tempting to smell the roses every once in a while.

Keep it clean

Wash your clothes, or alternatively, change your outside clothes once you’re settled back inside for the day. Unfortunately, pollen is stubborn and will stick to your clothes and shoes.

Stay indoors

This applies to the days or times when the pollen count is high. So if you’re going out, do yourself a favor and check the pollen count.

Consider moving

Haha, I got you! You shouldn’t feel like you have to move cities. If you feel this way, it’s a sign to address your new or ongoing symptoms. Best of luck to y’all, my fellow allergy sufferers!

Justice Morris (she/her) is a second-year history and Mexican American Latino Studies double major at the University of Texas at Austin. She is also pursuing a Core Texts and Ideas certificate. Justice is a passionate writer; she enjoys sharing her thoughts on the arts, life as a college student, and her cultural experiences as a Chicana woman. You can find more of her work in The Liberator, the official publication of the College of Liberal Arts.