Austin TikTok Restaurant Recommendations & Honest Reviews 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Deciding whether or not the places I see on TikTok are really worth the hype.

Frozen Flamingo Sweet Treats 

Okay, so this spot is not technically in Austin, but it is a short drive away. Frozen Flamingo in Georgetown has blown up online recently since owner Faith Thomas (@that.flamingo.lady) has begun posting on TikTok. She posts customer orders and seasonal flavors — everything from frozen custard, to shakes, to daiquiris. I went there for the first time recently and absolutely loved it. I am partial to frozen custard anyway, but I genuinely feel like it was worth the hype. I got to create my own concrete with vanilla custard, peanut butter, banana, and sliced almonds. It was delicious and obviously worth the 30-minute drive from campus. 

Aba

Y’all already know it’s not worth it. I booked the reservation a month in advance for a Friday night and I still had a hard time finding a reasonable time slot for dinner. I ended up eating at 4:30, which seems too early to be dinner but too late to be lunch. The food itself was fine but not super special. I feel like I could get better Mediterranean food from a food truck near campus without the long waits and reservation debacles. I will say, it was fun to get dressed up with my roommates and eat at a bit of a fancier restaurant, but at the end of the day, it’s expensive and difficult to get a good reservation. Though I will say, everyone should try it once to get it out of their system. 

Josephine House 

Personally, it’s easy for me to hate things that are expensive and call them overpriced. However, Josephine House is worth the two dollar signs on Yelp. I got the Huevos Rancheros and it was so amazing. There was a huge slice of lime and pickled onions on top, so of course, I loved it. It’s quaint and trendy all at the same time. The restaurant is built inside an old house, and I sat in what I believed was an old living room. Josephine House also has a gorgeous patio outside, so I fully intend on returning and sitting out there in the summertime.

Juliette’s Italian Kitchen 

This one was a no from me. For context, I am gluten-free and the selection of safe foods here was just severely lacking. The pasta was mushy and bland and the sides weren’t amazing either. They did have a great dog-friendly patio, which is perfect for my dog Margo. The waitress brought her a water bowl and the restaurant had big fans outside so it wasn’t too hot for her. I do think it was a cute place, but not great if you have food allergies. 

Amy’s

I might get hate for this, but I’m just not the biggest fan. I know this is an Austin staple ice cream shop, but I think it’s overpriced and mid. I’ve been here three times now and each time I am left feeling unsatisfied. However, one thing I love is their little sign at the location near campus that says “Guess the movie and get a free topping.” It almost makes up for the fact that I paid $7 for a scoop of ice cream in a cup. 

While I love trying new things, TikTok has unfortunately led me astray a few times. The moral of the story here is don’t blindly trust your For You Page. 

Katlynn is a journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin. She has a love for sustainability, fashion, writing, music and activism. Her goal is to pursue a career in entertainment writing. Additionally, her other passions include yoga, chess and taking care of her dachshund-chihuahua mix, Margo.