Mason Jars Dinner Party
Mason Jars Dinner Party
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

A meal best enjoyed with friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

My favorite part about weekends is going out with my friends and exploring the city of Austin and all of the good food it has to offer. My friends and I have made it a point this year to try new places and rank our favorite spots based on taste and aesthetics. Since a new season is upon us, the warm weather makes the desire to search for the best places to eat even more compelling. That being said, I have compiled a list of restaurants that are delicious and picturesque. 

1. Café No Sé

I had dinner at Café No Sé and it is at the top of my list for the best food. I had the salmon burger on a gluten-free bun and everything was phenomenal. The atmosphere was also great as they had minimal seating and dimmed lighting so it was a very intimate setting. I will say, I think it might be more enjoyable during the day due to its location on South Congress, so it could be a great place to enjoy brunch after walking around and shopping. 

2. Taquero Mucho

This year I celebrated Galentine’s Day at Taquero Mucho with my friends and it was chaotic, to say the least. We waited for about an hour to be seated and once we did, we sat on the patio in 50-degree weather. The service was sparse but we were all starving by the time we received our orders so the food tasted perfect. It remains a mystery whether it was good Mexican food, or if we were just too hungry to be overly critical. However, despite the less-than-desirable circumstances, the photo set-ups around the restaurant fit our Galentine’s theme to a tee. They had murals painted, neon signs, floral arrangements, and several phone props. While I believe it is somewhat a tourist’s joint, I would still label it a must-try due to their photo ops.

3. Eberly

I tried Eberly for my roommate’s birthday dinner and I would say it is the ideal place to host any celebration. They had a beautiful dining room adorned with florals lining a glass structure and long wooden tables. It reminded me heavily of Bella and Edward’s wedding in Twilight and I was obsessed. The service was immaculate and we even got some free appetizers, which is heaven to a group of college students. The food was good but I don’t know if I would go for a casual dinner or brunch, the restaurant was more fit for a special occasion. Overall, the sophisticated meets ethereal vibe is perfect for a meal with your closest confidants. 

4. Bouldin Creek Café

I had a casual brunch here a couple of weeks ago and fell in love with the menu and outdoor patio. I like taking my dog out to run errands on the weekends and I get nervous about finding places that are accommodating to dogs, but Bouldin Creek Café outdid themselves in this category. They had a heated covered patio and brought over a bowl with water for my dog to drink out of and a treat for her to enjoy. Additionally, the menu catered specifically to people with dietary restrictions or those following a plant-based diet; I had the tofu BLT and it was amazing. I recommend this place for a laid-back meal and I will be coming back soon.

5. Sip Pho

Sip Pho is a cute place within walking distance of campus, perfect for a weeknight meal. The casual atmosphere is as inviting and aesthetically pleasing as the pho is good. I have tried other noodle places near campus but I believe Sip Pho is by far the best. The restaurant also has a 10% off student discount for those with their UT ID present, which is something everyone should take advantage of. I think this spot is especially great if you don’t have alternate means of transportation or don’t want to take the bus to find a cute restaurant to enjoy. It also works for those who don’t want to wait for weekends to have a meal out with friends.

Katlynn is a journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin. She has a love for sustainability, fashion, writing, music and activism. Her goal is to pursue a career in entertainment writing. Additionally, her other passions include yoga, chess and taking care of her dachshund-chihuahua mix, Margo.