This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Dear Jonathan,

On April 18, 2021, my friends and I decided to throw a little party in honor of being COVID-19 vaccinated. We hadn’t seen one of our best friends, Mehul, in over a year and told him to join our 5-person “vaccine party.” When Mehul walked in later that night, that was when I met you for the first time. Little did I know that you would end up being the person that would bring so much joy into my life.

When I met you, I was going through a rough point in my life. But the more I got to know you, the more tolerable these problems felt. You made me laugh every time we were together and taught me how to look for happiness in everything. You encouraged me to pursue my passions while enjoying the beautiful chaos of the world around me. You pushed me to stand on my own two feet again and prevent other people from dictating my life. I am eternally thankful for you.

On August 4, 2021, when I got harassed in my own home, I remember being in a state of shock. I did not sleep, eat, or even breathe properly out of fear of my harasser banging on my door again. You came and picked me up and took me to your parent’s home. Your family took care of me without any question. Words cannot describe how much this meant to me. I remember being in your room crying out of stress, and you hugged me and said, “I will always keep you safe.” You reminded me every day that you were there for me no matter what. 

That being said, I wanted to tell you that you are the best thing that ever happened to me. You have shown me what unconditional love is. I want to remind you that I will always keep you safe and be there for you. You are such a beautiful person inside and out to the point where it’s almost unreal; you deserve the world. I cannot wait to go into this new year with someone I can truly call my family. Happy Birthday Jonathan!

Love,

Radhika Vatsa