This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Dear high school seniors,

It’s that time of the year when senioritis starts creeping up on you and college decisions loom over your daily thoughts. Trust me, I’ve been there. No seriously – I would literally skip AP Chemistry or AP Music Theory to go talk to my college counselor because I didn’t know what was going on with my mental state regarding college decisions. I don’t necessarily recommend skipping said classes (oops), but it’s quite normal to feel the need to put aside your high school academics as your new future starts becoming a near reality. If there is one thing I could tell anyone who is reading this, let me just start with: breathe. I know you don’t want to, and you’re probably just going to brush this advice away, but just take some time to let yourself feel human in the middle of all this chaos. It’s the best thing you can give yourself as you navigate this time of life.

Second, as college decisions pour in, you’re going to feel the need to compare yourself to other people’s acceptance. People are going to get into schools you wanted to go to, and sometimes, you’ll find yourself obsessing over a school you didn’t even want to go to in the first place. To all of that, my best advice would be to internalize the value of “rejection is redirection.” This life mantra has truly worked wonders for me mentally because it’s important to realize that when one door opens, another closes. What’s meant for you will somehow find its way to you, so try not to micro-obsess over things that you quite literally have no control over. Easier said than done, but who knows? Maybe your dream school wasn’t the best place for you based on the fact that you might not have been able to socially or mentally thrive there. I know my dream school ended up falling under that category, and I’m glad I’m not there for my undergrad career.

Finally, despite all the stressors that surround you, take some time to cherish your inner child. College comes with its own set of benefits, and I love everything about it, but a part of me does wish I spent more time with my friends and family as my high school career wrapped up. Try hanging out with your friends more, doing things that you used to do as a child, or playing with your pet. Even the smallest things that remind you of home and your childhood will allow you to fully live out these next few months. Also, really take time to relax this summer. Do whatever fuels your soul and energy, because proper rest is needed especially after the whirlwind that was high school. I say this because a part of the reason why I am so comfortable in college is that I allowed myself to fully say goodbye to my past high school self and did so through unwinding during summer break.

You’re almost at the finish line of the race, and I promise it’ll all be worth it. Just push through the last few moments and don’t forget to enjoy your high school life as well. You deserve every single good thing that is coming your way, and I hope you allow yourself to go easy at times. It’ll be alright.

Love,

An ex-burnt-out high school girl with a really bad case of senioritis.

Hey y'all! I am currently a sophomore double majoring in Plan II & Informatics at the University of Texas at Austin. I am a published author of two fictional books, an avid Spotify listener with over 300 playlists, and have an eerily accurate Elmo impression! Thank you for stopping by to check out my articles. <3