This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Maybe it’s just me, but when I think about turning 21, I think about a lot of alcohol, parties, and bars. I turn 21 in a few days, and I really want to do something spontaneous and exclusive to people 21 and up. The issue is, I don’t really like drinking. Bars kind of scare me. Parties just aren’t my thing. So in an attempt not to make my 21st completely lame, I began compiling a list of things to do that isn’t just bar-hopping on the big day. Here are my top 7:

1. Visit Dirdie Birdie

Dirdie Birdie is a place where mini golf, amazing food, and specialty cocktails collide. Strictly 21 and up after 6 p.m., Dirdie Birdie has the coolest mini golf course I have maybe ever seen. Decorated with flashing neon lights and beautiful scenery, each hole is dedicated to something special in Austin. Each item on the menu, both snacks and drinks, is creatively named around golf. At only $18 a person, I think this is a great option for anyone looking for a fun night! 

1. Go to a Comedy Show

There are many places that have comedy all over Austin. Do512 has a list of events happening every month. However, the one that I am most excited about attending as a freshly 21-year-old is Don’t Tell Comedy. If you haven’t seen one of their YouTube videos featuring sets by so many hilarious comics, I recommend checking them out. The thing that is so special about Don’t Tell Comedy is that you don’t know anything about the show until a few hours before the venue and the comics are all a mystery. All you know when purchasing the tickets is the time, the general area in Austin, and that it’s BYOB. 

1. Play arcade games at Cidercade

Cidercade is one of my favorite spots in Austin. I’ve had a date there. I’ve brought people who were visiting Austin for the first time there. I’ve seen my best friend demolish someone at a knock-off Dance Dance Revolution game there. The food is always so, so good. While it is open to all ages, it is strictly 21 and up after 8 p.m. They have a wide selection of wine, beer, and cocktails. And while I’m not a huge drinker, I can’t imagine a lot of nights better than trying to beat your friends at air hockey while tipsy.

1. Sip wine and read at Vintage Bookstore and Wine bar

I love it when coffee shops or bookstores have big, comfy chairs to sink into while I am opening up a new book. Vintage Bookstore and Wine Bar has the most comforting, cozy ambiance, which is a big reason why it made this list. They have a wide variety of wines, beers, and everything you need to create an impromptu charcuterie board. If you know nothing about wine, like me, they even offer flights (aka when you sample a small variety of drinks) for a decent price. Once you have selected a drink/snack, you can pick out a book! They have a lot of events every week like author signings, live music, and trivia! 

1. Get buzzed at Alamo Drafthouse

Alamo Drafthouse does not need any hyping up. It’s great. They do a lot of cool events, and feature movies both new and old. Alamo Drafthouse also offers food with a bunch of their movies, some menus specifically curated towards whatever movie you are watching. Likewise, they also offer specialty cocktails. Personally, sipping on a cocktail with a bucket of popcorn in my lap during a movie sounds like the perfect evening. 

1. Sing along to live music at Pete’s Dueling Piano Bar

This is the only 6th Street venue that made the list. And while it is a bar, the atmosphere of this place is so iconic. Everyone there is always enjoying the live music and singing their heart out, which is so incredibly fun. Pete’s offers an incredibly large variety of cocktails, beer, and wine. However, the music is by far my favorite part of this place. While I don’t recommend going solo, you are sure to have a good time at this place with your best friends by your side. 

1. Attend a game of trivia 

Though some may argue that this is lame, I beg to differ. With the right people, trivia is so much fun (especially if you are passionate about the theme). Pluckers offers trivia every Wednesday. However, third-party groups of people like the Get-It-Gals (click the link to go to their Instagram) offer a wide variety of trivia themes almost every day across Austin. Whether you’re into superheroes, books, sports, or even The Office, there is something for everyone. While only some locations are exclusively 21 and up, I would say that nearly every single location serves alcohol. Trying to compete in trivia while you aren’t sober adds another layer to the fun.

Whether it is bar-hopping, something on this list, or staying at home and watching Netflix, just make sure you spend your 21st doing something that brings you happiness. Nevertheless, whatever you decide to do, remember to drink responsibly (and legally).

Mirely is a third year student at UT Austin. Besides writing, she loves to skate, drink coffee, watch really cheesy rom-coms and cuddle with her dogs Henry and Oliver. thanks for reading <3