This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

When I wake up, the last thing I want to do is get out of bed. It’s cold, it’s early, and I’m tired. But I have a nine a.m. class, so I must get up. Throughout my years of dreading leaving the comfort of my bed, I’ve managed to pick up on a few different tricks to make starting my day just a little bit easier.

1.    Obviously, coffee.

person pouring coffee
Photo by Helena Lopes from Pexels
A cup of coffee is a great way to start your day. It’s tasty, it has caffeine, it warms you up, and it smells great. Making coffee motivates me to get out of bed, and even if I lay back down immediately after getting a cup, the thought of my coffee growing cold keeps me awake. The energy jump-starts my day on the right note.

2.    Open the blinds.

Alisa Anton U_Z0X
Alisa Anton / Unsplash
For most people, it’s hard to sleep with light in the room, and the sun also serves as a natural reminder to our bodies to wake up. I like to leave my blinds open before I go to sleep, so that the next morning, the sun is the first thing to greet me.

3.    Countdown.

The Lalapeace Sign And Patches
Her Campus Media
This is something I learned about in a Reddit thread about productivity. It can help you start on anything you don’t want to do, and it’s really simple. Either aloud or in your head, all you do is say, “3, 2, 1… Go!” On “go,” just start whatever you need to accomplish. It doesn’t always work for me, but when all I need is the tiniest sliver of motivation, it works wonders.

4.    Drink water before you go to sleep.

Jar with lemon
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels
Drinking water before you sleep means you’ll have to go to the bathroom in the morning, and sometimes, that’s the only thing that will get me out of bed. It might take a bit of trial and error to get the exact time and amount of water perfect.

5.    Put your alarm clock across the room.

You’ve probably heard of this trick before, but it works. When your alarm clock is across the room, you have to get out of bed to go turn it off, and you can’t just ignore it. Not only does it get you out of bed, but that little bit of movement may wake you up a bit.

Cristina is a freshman majoring in Psychology (BA) at UT Austin. She loves people, animals, and anything cute! In her free time, you can find her practicing the piano or huddled up in her bed watching Hulu.
Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.