Career

5 Tips for Cultivating Your Mental Health While Searching For That First Postgrad Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

For my last article as a member of Her Campus at Texas, I wanted to offer some tips for maintaining your mental health while navigating the infamous job search. Applications, cover letters, and interviews can feel draining. To help prevent burnout, try integrating these tips into your daily routine. I hope they assist you in protecting your energy, and good luck with your job search!

1. Embrace Movement

For most of us, applying for jobs entails long hours sitting behind a laptop, emailing resumes and attending zoom interviews. To help reset and take care of your body, schedule little blocks of time into your day for movement. This might look like a walk outside, a spontaneous dance session, or some gentle stretching – anything that will help invigorate you and keep your energy flowing!

2. Schedule Outings with Friends

Although certain aspects of the career search can feel social, such as interviews, I’ve noticed that the job hunt gradually starts to feel a bit lonely. Scheduling time to hang out with friends will give you something to look forward to in the midst of job applications, and push you to leave your house. Leaning on your friends for support and allowing for a change of space can help mitigate stress, and a picnic, dinner date, or girls night out might be the perfect way to decompress after a long day!  

3. Set Boundaries with Job Applications

As an overachiever, setting boundaries during the job application process proved challenging. Anytime I received an email from a potential employer, I felt pressured to respond immediately, especially if their correspondence contained important action items for me to complete such as personality tests, cognitive assessments, or role play assignments. In several instances, I forced myself to complete these tasks as quickly as possible – doing so resulted in several rejections and I felt disappointed for not giving myself ample time to prepare. 

To help avoid similar scenarios, I advise setting boundaries in your application process. Stop responding to emails after 5:00pm. Limit the number of jobs you apply to during a given timeframe to limit feelings of overwhelm. Offer yourself grace and patience as you complete components of each application. Do what you need to do to protect you and your energy!

4. Watch a Lighthearted TV Show / Read a good Book (Or Audiobook!)

Immersing yourself in a good tv show or book can help take your mind off of stress and promote healthy escapism. I recommend lighthearted genres, such as comedies and YA fiction, that will induce sensations of ease and comfort. If you find yourself looking at screens all day for a good portion of your job search, I especially recommend taking the route of books/audiobooks. Your eyes will thank you for giving them a much needed break from blue light exposure! 

5. Take Up A New Hobby

Finally, job application processes often contain similar steps, which can cause the career search to feel monotonous and uninspiring. To break this cycle of repetition, I recommend taking up a new hobby or engaging with something you’ve never done before! I’ve personally been experimenting with new makeup looks and dabbling in arts and crafts projects, which helps sprinkle little moments of joy into my days. Trying something new can additionally help push you outside your comfort zone, which invites new perspectives and innovative outlooks on life that may even benefit your job search!

Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of advice, I hope these tips help make the job search a little bit more manageable. The process of finding a job often proves daunting and demanding, but making an intentional effort to protect your energy and mental health will help ensure your success and wellbeing in the long run. I hope all of your dreams come true, and that postgrad life treats you well. You deserve the world ♡

Chandler is a senior at UT double majoring in English and Chinese while pursuing a Certificate in Global Management. She currently serves as one of HerCampus Texas' Campus Correspondents and adores live music, dogs, friends, and mindful living ♥