This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

If I had a penny for every time I heard someone say they hate country music because it’s all about red solo cups and tractors, I would drop out of college and buy a private island to live out the rest of my days. In all honesty, there are many modern country songs that ARE all about red solo cups and tractors *cough* Luke Bryan *cough*. But underneath it all is a plethora of music that’s rich with emotion and storytelling that can either rip your heart out or put it back together in 4 minutes or less. So, without further adieu, I present to you my top 5 country songs that will no doubt make you want to ride a horse into the sunset or google the nearest honky-tonk.

“Neon Moon” by Brooks & Dunn ft. Kacey Musgraves

This mesmerizing reinvention of the Brooks & Dunn classic has me wanting to go on a late night walk and mourn a relationship that doesn’t even exist. I could have this on repeat for the rest of my life and never get tired of the beautifully haunting lyrics (“the words to every sad song seem to say what I think”) and Kacey’s captivating vocal performance.

“Jolene” by Dolly Parton

The youtube comment section below the lyric video for this absolute banger is flooded with remarks that start off with “I hate country music with a passion but…” Well, do I have news for you! If you like Dolly Parton, you like country music! And you’re better off for it. Everyone needs a little Dolly in their life. ( P.S. If you haven’t seen Dumplin’ on Netflix, which heavily features Dolly’s music, what are you doing? Go watch right now!)

“The Joke” by Brandi Carlile

Elton John said that he wished he’d written this song! It’s perfect for those times when you just need to scream at the top of your lungs in your bedroom.

“I Walk The Line” by Johnny Cash

Johnny Cash is the epitome of country music at its finest. Rolling Stones Magazine ranked this particular song at #30 on their list of greatest songs of all time, so I think that tells you all you need to know. I also highly recommend watching the biopic of the same name, starring Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon, which goes in depth on Cash’s insane life and road to stardom in the 50s and 60s.

“Hoedown Throwdown” by Miley Cyrus

Enough said.

Hello! I'm currently studying Advertising at the University of Texas at Austin. In my free time, I'm constantly baking, listening to true crime podcasts, and spending time with my family. Connect with me on IG: www.instagram.com/unorachel
Hi, I'm Madeline Muschalik! This is my fourth year in Her Campus; I wrote for Her Campus at Wake Forest University before transferring to UT in fall 2019. Last year I was the Her Campus Texas Co-President and Campus Correspondent & it was so rewarding. I am excited to explore Austin and learn more about our university through Texas Her Campus. Some of my hobbies include running, reading, yoga, and traveling! I am a Public Relations Major and with a minor in Entrepreneurship and certificate in Creative Writing. Outside of Her Campus I am involved in Texas American Marketing Association, Moody Communication Council, a member of the Kendra Scott WEL Institute Student Council, Texas Kappa Delta, and I am a Transfer Year Interest Group (TRIG) mentor. I love UT & all the amazing opportunities (like Her Campus) that it has to offer!