This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As syllabus week slowly fades away as a distant but beautiful memory and the first round of tests looms just around the corner, everyone is gearing up for late nights full of coffee and textbooks. Don’t stay cooped up in your room like an academic zombie or resort to the same-old study spot. Studies show that mixing up where you study actually helps your brain retain information more effectively, which means hellooo A+ on that first exam!

So grab your laptop, pack your favorite snacks, and venture out to one of these not-so-common places to start studying for your big test.

SAC Sky Bridge

This relatively unknown area between the SAC and Liberal Arts buildings is one of the best-kept secrets as far as study spots go. Take the elevator in the SAC to the fourth floor and there’s an enclosed bridge that connects the two buildings, complete with tables, chairs, and floor-to-ceiling windows that give you an awesome view to below.

Blanton Museum

The Blanton is nestled behind the PCL on MLK Street, providing just enough separation from campus for you to be productive and avoid distractions but not be totally isolated. It’s perfect for getting reading done or working on your computer. You can even sit underneath the trees in the grass and have a totally unobstructed view of the Capitol. Plus, there’s the Blanton Café, which offers coffee drinks, breakfast items, and even flatbread pizzas!

Life Sciences Library

Even though it is listed on the University’s official library list as the “Life Sciences Library,” this hidden gem located in the heart of campus is better known to students as the Harry Potter Library. The quiet feel, older furniture, and beautifully detailed ceilings come straight off the pages of J.K Rowling’s popular series. What better motivation to study than to play the Harry Potter movie score and pretend like you’re studying with Harry, Ron, and Hermoine? (Wearing your wizard robes and bringing your wand not recommended if you actually want to get studying done).

5th floor PCL

Newly renovated and unique to any place on campus, the 5th floor of the PCL is the perfect space to meet a group of friends and camp out for a few hours. The prison-like gray walls have been replaced with bright oranges and blues, and the old tables are now a mix of big booths and comfy chairs and tables, with plenty of room perfect for spreading out all your stuff. There are huge marker boards that you can collaborate with your group on, and the large windows give you a nice view of the business school to provide hope during an all-nighter that yes….civilization does still exist outside.

Littlefield Café

Another great place to enjoy the weather outside, the Littlefield Café has a cute little area of tables that is ideal for people who study better with a little background noise. Since rule #1 for a good studying spot is must be close to snacks, this patio area is the perfect place to camp out and get to work.

Photo Sources: