5 Must-Read Books with Empowered Female Protagonists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Hey there ladies! Do you want to see strong, empowered women take center stage in the stories you read? Well, you’re in luck! I’ve compiled a list of the top books with female protagonists that are sure to leave you feeling inspired and ready to take on the world.

1. “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins

If you haven’t read “The Hunger Games” yet, then you’re missing out on one of the most iconic young adult book series of our time. The story follows Katniss Everdeen, a strong-willed young woman who volunteers to compete in a televised fight to the death in order to save her sister. Along the way, she becomes a symbol of hope for a nation oppressed by a corrupt government. This book is a must-read for anyone who wants to see a fierce, independent woman take charge and fight for what she believes in.

1. “The Handmaid’s Tale” by Margaret Atwood

“The Handmaid’s Tale” is a haunting tale that takes place in a dystopian future where women are stripped of their rights and autonomy. The story follows Offred, a handmaid who is assigned to a wealthy couple in order to bear them a child. Throughout the book, Offred struggles to maintain her sanity and attempts to hold onto her identity in a world that seeks to erase her. This book is a powerful reminder of the importance of fighting for women’s rights and standing up against oppression.

1. “Little Women” by Louisa May Alcott

“Little Women” is a classic novel that has been loved by generations of readers. The story follows the lives of four sisters, each with their own unique personality and dreams. The protagonist, Jo March, is a tomboyish young woman who dreams of becoming a writer. Throughout the book, she faces challenges and heartbreak but ultimately learns to embrace her identity and follow her dreams. “Little Women” is a timeless tale of sisterhood, love, and the power of women to shape their own destinies.

1. “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” by Stieg Larsson

“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” is a thrilling mystery novel that features one of the most badass female protagonists in literature. Lisbeth Salander is a hacker and a survivor who has faced unimaginable trauma in her life. When she teams up with journalist Mikael Blomkvist to investigate a series of murders, she proves herself to be a force to be reckoned with. This book is a must-read for anyone who wants to see a complex, flawed, and unforgettable female character take charge and kick ass.

1. “The Bell Jar” by Sylvia Plath

“The Bell Jar” is a semi-autobiographical novel that explores the struggles of a young woman named Esther Greenwood as she battles depression and tries to find her place in the world. The book is a haunting portrait of mental illness and the difficulties that women face when trying to break free from societal expectations. Esther is a complex and relatable protagonist who will stay with you long after you finish reading the book.

So there you have it, ladies! Five amazing books with strong female protagonists that are sure to inspire and empower you. Whether you’re looking for a thrilling adventure or a thought-provoking character study, these books have got you covered. So grab a cup of tea, curl up with a good book, and let these amazing women show you what they’re made of!

Vanna Chen

Texas '23

Senior Computer Science Major Sleepy, Funny, Addicted to Kombucha