5 EDM Artists You Should Know

EDM is all the rave, er — rage, right now. From dance beats diffusing into mainstream radio, to EDM events attracting thousands of fans each year, to house giants (and newly separated) Swedish House Mafia heading up music festivals like Coachella, electronic music is everywhere. And there’s more to it than one might think; new genres and sub-genres are constantly popping up every other month.

I’ve been a fan of electronic music for years, but it wasn’t until I looked through the list of my favorite SXSW shows that I realized, I’m more of an electronic music fanatic. While Nocturnal Wonderland may not be happening this year, much to the dismay of Texas EDM fans, you can have your own private listening party with our list of some of the best, young DJs and producers around (four out of the five are under 23). After all, raving isn’t what the genre is all about — it’s about the music.
Disclosure
These British brothers made their Austin debut during SXSW and wowed crowds with their use of live drums, bass and vocals along with their catchy dance tunes. Howard and Guy Lawrence, only 18 and 21 years old, have made major waves worldwide, and still have yet to release their first full-length album out this year.
Take a listen to Disclosure.

Flume
Australian beatmaker Harley Streten, aka Flume, has taken Australia by storm and has now moved on to the U.S. The 21-year-old’s debut album “Flume” topped the charts, beating out One Direction and Justin Bieber in his home country. He incorporates different vocals to add hip-hop, house and R&B elements into his infectious beats.
Take a listen to Flume.

Ryan Hemsworth

This Canadian DJ/producer is a well sought-after remixer who has done remixes of artists like Frank Ocean and Lana Del Rey. Known for his R&B and rap influences, from R. Kelly to Drake, he infuses samples with electronic beats to make them his own. We’ll definitely be hearing more from him.

Take a listen to Ryan Hemsworth. 

Beacon

This Brooklyn duo explores the softer side of electronic music, featuring live vocals, rather than two guys standing behind a DJ booth. The lead singer’s soulful, R&B-style vocals echo gracefully against the atmospheric beats. Look out for their debut album, “The Ways We Separate,” on April 29.

Take a listen to Beacon.

RL Grime

This young producer has been garnering attention for years under his other project, Clockwork, and now under the name RL Grime. Sometimes I wonder what I’m doing with my life, when this 21-year-old is touring the world as two different producers. Under both monikers, he explores electro, house, trap, you name it, and puts on a killer live show.

Take a listen to RL Grime.