Style > Decor

5 Easy Steps for Propagating & Keeping Your Plant Alive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.
  1. Find stems/leaves that might’ve fallen off or snip them off from your current plants.
  2. After snipping the stem, you have to root it.
  3. In order to root it, you first have to cut it just below a node.
  4. Then place it in a cup of water until there are roots forming
  5. After you notice the roots growing, transfer it to a pot of soil.

Note that it does take about a week for the roots to begin to sprout. Once you have those sprouted and potted, you have to make sure to provide your plant with enough sunlight and water. Moist soil is something really important in order to keep a just propagated plant alive and the transition from water to soil is something very crucial to the development of the plant. After the plant begins to thrive in its new environment, start giving the plant a regular amount of water at a normal schedule (watering schedule depends per plant, but tends to be once a day).

Congrats! You just successfully propagated your own plant!

Frida is a second-year neuroscience major at The University of Texas at Austin. She is from Houston, Texas. She enjoys painting, connecting with nature, and doing tarot readings!