5 Easy and Productive Things to Do During Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The time has come where we practically live in the overcrowded PCL, attempting to cram for finals while awaiting winter break. For most of us, the break is all about relaxing and spending time with family and friends. While we have some down time, however, I suggest doing a few productive things, so when you head back to the 40 Acres in January, you aren’t overwhelmed by your to-do list. Here are some suggestions:

1. Look into applying for summer internships:  Many applications for summer internships have deadlines at the beginning of the spring semester. Since getting back into school mode after winter break is difficult enough as it is, it would be very beneficial to start looking at these applications during winter break—even it you are looking over them leisurely—to at least know what supplemental materials are required. This way, if these internship programs require recommendations from professors, you are prepared to ask them when school starts. Morgan Fredell, a sophomore human biology major here at UT, plans on using winter break to look at internships for research programs during the summer months. “During the break, I will have time to look into internships for the summer,” she says. “They are great opportunities for new experiences and will look amazing on my resume.”
  2. Find local places to volunteer: Volunteering is an easy and fun way to give back to your community, not to mention the connections and experience you will get! Whether it be an animal shelter, hospital, museum or children’s daycare—find what is interesting to you/relates to what you want to do in the future and explore it! Volunteering is also a great way to get a glimpse into different areas you have not had experience in. For example, if you have always contemplated a career as a veterinarian, volunteering at a veterinary office would be a great way to see if that career path could be for you!
  3. Get a part time job: Getting a job during winter break will ease your boredom around the house and give you the opportunity to earn some money!  The best part of getting a job during winter break is that you do not have to balance it with school work. It’s also a great opportunity to meet new people. Sophomore Esther Lien looks forward to working during her winter break. “Getting a part time job will be a great way to pass time and to get extra college funds,” she says. “During summer breaks, most people go on vacations. But during winter breaks, people are more likely to get bored.”
  4. Rediscover reading—it’s not all school work! For most of us collegiettes™, the last time we voluntarily read a book was a long time ago. We have forgotten the great feeling that reading a great book incites within us. With almost a month of break, we will have to opportunity to rediscover reading for leisure, which can be very relaxing, fun and even life-changing. A great book suggestion of mine is The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. Inspiring people to positively think about their goals and ambitions, this book underlines the keys to being successful in life, making you rethink your approach to many day-to-day situations.
  5. Get fit: Though we usually fear the opposite happening, the holidays can be a great time to get fit and healthy. With plenty of time to dedicate to working out, winter break is perfect for figuring out a workout schedule that you can see yourself maintaining. Not only will working out have you feeling great about yourself during the holidays, but it will also have you energized and ready once school starts. Razan Alnahhas, a sophomore here at UT, works out to stay energized and healthy during her winter break. “It’s nice not to have to do school work over the break,” she says, “so working out is a great way to stay productive and fit while still having time to relax during the break!”
Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.