Life > Experiences

5 COVID Safe Activities You Have To Try With Your Friends!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As COVID-19 continues to impact the normalcy of our lives, we have to make an effort to come together while being safe and responsible about it. The CDC recommends outdoor activities for when you hang out with people outside your household, so we have to get creative! Here are a few of my favorite outdoor activities since COVID started!

Picnic 

Going to the park for picnics with my friends has been the highlight of my time during COVID! It’s so easy, and you can take some serious Pinterest-worthy pictures while you’re out there! Just call up your friends, grab a few blankets, pack your food, and you’re all set for a good time! My favorite add ons to picnics are bringing games or crafts. Games such as Cards Against Humanity, Pictionary, or Uno always is a great way to start up some silly laughter! Crafts such as painting and friendship bracelet making are a great way to bring out your creative side and to get closer to your friends with meaningful conversations! 

Outdoor Movie Night

Going to the movies pre-COVID was my favorite thing to do with my friends, but now that we don’t go to the theaters anymore, there are plenty of options to go watch outdoor movies. This activity can be done a few different ways, but my personal favorite is with the portable projector that I bought on Amazon. There is also plenty of drive-in movies that you can bring a lawn chair to and sit outside your car with friends! Don’t forget to bring fuzzy blankets and snacks!

Roller-Skating 

Physical activities have never been my go-to when it comes to hanging out with my friends, but ever since roller-skating has taken over my FYP on TikTok, I’ve been obsessed with skating ever since. My friend and I both bought the same skates but in different colors to ride together! Trust me, we’re not the only ones; sales reports from skate companies such as Moxi have shown skyrocketed growth since the start of the pandemic. Not only is it fun to do with friends, but it makes me want to go outside by myself and get some exercise while soaking up some vitamin D!

Farmers Markets 

Walking around farmers markets with friends is a great way to explore new foods while supporting your local farmers! Most farmers markets now have a capacity number of people they let in and take your temperature plus give hand sanitizer before you enter, so it’s much safer than you might assume. Personally, I love dressing slightly in a cottagecore aesthetic and bringing my tote bag to feel dressed up and relaxed when I go from booth to booth! This is also a great place to pick up some fresh flowers to take some bestie pictures with! 

Campfire 

Inviting a few of your closest friends over for a chill campfire night is a great way to start up some casual conversation to catch up on how life has been. You can have a traditional campfire with roasting hotdogs and marshmallows, or you can hang out around the fire with some pizza delivery and some wine; to each their own! This activity is great for friends that have day jobs and can only hang out in the evenings. It’s essential to be aware of others’ availability and make sure they feel also thought about during this time!

I like to say; we shouldn’t necessarily be “socially” distancing ourselves, but just “physically” distancing ourselves. As humans, having meaningful connections and social interactions is essential to both our physical and mental health. So what are you waiting for? Call up your friends and schedule a time to safely get together for a few hours to catch up in person without the complications that online hangouts bring! Oh… and don’t forget to bring your mask!

Maci Wolfe

Texas '22

Hello! My name is Maci Wolfe, I'm a 22-year-old Latina attending the University of Texas at Austin as a Studio Art major. I practice many different styles of art but mainly studio and digital! I love playing with my dog, gaming, baking, and watching movies!