5 College Student-Approved TikTok Food Trends You Need To Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

If I’m being honest, there are very few moments in my day when I’m not thinking about food. Whether it be baking a new multi-step recipe or simply mulling over what to make for dinner, I’m always looking for an excuse to be in the kitchen. As much as I would love to spend all day at the stovetop, I’m usually limited to an hour or two, which means my meals sometimes fall short of my high expectations. 

Fortunately for all of my fellow food lovers, social media can be a helpful tool when you’re lacking inspiration for pretty much anything. What you choose to consume online isn’t limited to 30-second dance videos and exotic vacation recaps. TikTok has inspired me to create some of my favorite dishes, most of which are fairly simple and meet my standards.

The college student struggle is real, which means my budget for groceries is typically quite limited. Luckily, these five of my favorite TikTok recipes use minimal ingredients while still giving great flavors (your taste buds will thank me later)!

1. The “Gigi Hadid” Pasta (Aka. Pasta Alla Vodka) 

While Gigi Hadid originally shared her famous Vodka Pasta recipe via Instagram stories, her trend quickly became one of the most sought-after TikTok food recipes in 2021. Her recipe is fairly simple, calling for only garlic, shallots, tomato paste, heavy cream, red pepper flakes, butter, vodka, Parmesan cheese, and basil. Don’t be discouraged by the name of this recipe if you’re under 21, the vodka can be omitted while still maintaining great flavor. 

Get the recipe here. 

1. Baked Feta Pasta 

Pasta dishes are basically fool-proof, especially if you’re not too well-versed in the kitchen. I’m not the biggest fan of grape tomatoes, but this recipe has begun to change my opinion. If your refrigerator is nearing empty, the bare minimum this recipe requires is feta, tomatoes, olive oil, and one box of your favorite uncooked pasta. However, red pepper flakes, thyme, and lemon zest can be added for additional flavor. 

Get the recipe here

1. Salmon Bites 

Eat them in a bowl, on a salad, or by themselves, but salmon bites are a simple and delicious way to make a healthy weeknight meal without spending hours in the kitchen. TikTok not only introduced me to the numerous ways that salmon can be prepared but also to how many flavor profiles pair perfectly with this protein. Some of my favorite variations include garlic butter salmon bites, hot honey salmon bowls, and crispy sesame salmon salads. Salmon can be expensive, but my secret is to grab a family-sized bag of frozen boneless and skinless fillets that you can cook straight from frozen. 

Get the recipe here. 

1. Overnight Oats 

I never have been and never will be a morning person. Every week, I look forward to waking up late on the weekends and making elaborate breakfasts. On weekdays when I can barely open my eyes before 8 a.m., overnight oats are my savior. Similar to salmon, overnight oats can be prepared in an endless number of ways. Add chia seeds and Greek yogurt for protein, fresh fruit for flavor, or sweet spices like cinnamon brown sugar. What’s better than having a filling and delectable breakfast waiting for your in the fridge when you wake up? 

Get the recipe here.

1. “Marry Me” Chicken

I’ve tried hundreds of ways to prepare chicken as a college student. It’s inexpensive and requires little to no skill to cook (if you haven’t nailed chicken yet, a meat thermometer will be your best friend). This chicken recipe, in particular, has had my heart since it popped up on my For You page. If you’re looking for love (or to impress your roommates), this creamy and savory chicken has you covered. Chicken is obviously the star of the show, but the parmesan cream sauce with sun-dried tomatoes gives it a run for its money. This recipe contains a handful of ingredients, but stocking your pantry with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and other staple spices is a long-term investment that’s almost always worth the money. 

Get the recipe here. 

Casey is a third-year student at the University of Texas at Austin pursuing a journalism degree and a business Spanish certificate. She is currently a food editorial intern at Camille Styles and where she writes and publishes food and lifestyle pieces. In her free time, Casey enjoys cooking, traveling, and practicing yoga. IG: caseymckee_ Blog: KeenlyCasey.com Twitter: casey.mckee7