4 Unique Valentine’s Day Date Ideas (or the Perfect Treat Yo’ Self Day!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Valentine’s Day is rapidly approaching, restaurant reservations are dwindling like hot cakes, and we’re all out here looking to have a nice evening. Whether you are looking for a date night idea to suggest to your significant other, have taken charge of planning the Valentine’s Day festivities this year, or are looking for an excellent opportunity to feel empowered in your singleness, here are some off the beaten path ideas!

1. Go on a ghost tour of Austin!

Hero image appropriate for article on Unhealthy Relatioships - image of a question mark
Photo by Emily Morter on Unsplash

Unconventional? You bet! Consider skipping a fancy dinner and exchanging chocolates with your significant other (or with yourself) and instead splurge on a new experience! Not only will you get the chance to breathe the fresh night air, but you will have the opportunity to hear Austin’s history from a new tilt (a spooky one) and share a one-of-a-kind evening with your special someone. Perhaps the most iconic ghost tour of Austin is the Haunted ATX Hearse Tours (yes, they are exactly what they sound like). So rally your partner, friends, or beautiful self and make a reservation for a unique and (perhaps) frightening night you will never forget!

1. Picnic at a local park! Zilker or Pease, perhaps?

Picnic Donuts
Amy Cho / Spoon

Picnicking is an excellent option for a relaxing Valentine’s Day celebration! Whip up some food, put on some layered clothing, and venture to one of Austin’s beautiful local parks! Not only will this date idea be gentler on your wallet, but it leaves room for spontaneity. When it starts getting a bit chilly, break out a frisbee or toss a ball to keep warm. 

1. Two-step the night away!

Firends Holding Hands And White Brick Wall 1
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Admittedly, very few of us are going to look as graceful as the couple in the photo if this date idea comes to fruition. But two-stepping is an excellent Valentine’s Day activity! You’ll have the chance to jam to some country tunes, trip over your feet a time or two, and have some good laughs with whoever you choose to bring as your dance partner. If this is the date idea for you, check out the Broken Spoke here in Austin for an evening of great country music and even better dance moves.

1. Volunteer in the Austin community!

Hands holding.
Min An

Volunteering on Valentine’s Day is hands down the best and most meaningful way to connect with both your significant other and your greater community. Show love for your neighbors by lending a helping hand at a soup kitchen, food bank, or other nonprofit showing compassion for your fellow Austinites!

Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.