4 Tips for a Successful Finals Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Thanksgiving has come and gone and finals start just next week. As the relaxation of UT´s mini break fades away and the realities of finals begin to settle in, the need to settle into productive work is getting more and more pressing. As you plan your attack strategy for the week(s) ahead, here are some tips to keep in mind.

Make sure you take time to exercise (even if it’s just for twenty minutes).

Woman running with a sunset in the background
Image by skeeze from Pixabay
Exercise stimulates your body’s production of endorphins, which can make you feel happier, and also can improve your mood! Also, exercise can help you to sleep more soundly, which will make your precious (and probably minimal) sleep time much more valuable! 

Study actively!

Anna Schultz-Girl On Laptop In Bed
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Make sure you are making your study time count! According to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, you absorb the most information when you study in 30-45 minute long blocks of time and then take mental breaks. During these periods of time, make sure you are actively engaging with the material by quizzing yourself and doing practice problems (also, it might be good to save multitasking for your study breaks).

Eat healthy!

Crudites
Christin Urso / Spoon

Make sure that you are not letting your health escape from you during finals week! It can be easy to take up a carb-heavy, unhealthier diet when you are stressed and busy, but those foods won’t necessarily fuel your body and brain properly and efficiently. Make sure you are eating a balanced diet high in healthy proteins, vegetables, grains, and fruits. Not only will a good diet give you more study energy, but it will decrease your chances of getting sick!

Set a study schedule and follow it.

The Lalagirl Smiling Holding Journal
Her Campus Media
Take some time to write out your finals preparation plan in an organized and comprehensive manner, and then make sure you stick to it! I have found that I remember my schedule the most effectively when I write it out by hand. After you construct your schedule, make sure you are sticking to the deadlines you have set for yourself and checking/revising the schedule whenever necessary.

Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.