3 Underrated Winter Break Destinations for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Ho ho ho. The most festive time of the year is here and I’m about to deliver my gift to you- a list of my favorite lesser-known holiday destinations that are guaranteed to wow and astound.

• New Orleans is like eggnog. It’s an incredible city that celebrates the holidays with decadent feasts and grand decor. Enjoy sumptuous creole style Réveillon feasts with the family after a day of exploring festively decorated historic homes and cobblestone streets. Caroling in Jackson Square and bonfires at the levees are classic activities bound to grow your heart 3 sizes. NOLA is a dramatic grande dame that blends old world roasted chestnuts with beignets and holiday roasts.
  • San Antonio is like sparkling apple cider, peppy and jolly with a touch of childlike wonder. I have many fond memories of strolling around a colorful and twinkling boardwalk with my parents. We would go on the river cruise (tourist trap but soooo worth it) and they would twirl me up so I could watch the buildings go by on their shoulders. The restaurants and bars by the riverside would blear “All I Want for Christmas Is You” and I would fall asleep gazing at the twinkling lights. There’s plenty of bars and clubs too by the water if you want a little kick to the cider.
  • Aspen is hot chocolate with marshmellows. Stereotypical but in a way you just can’t help but love (the nostalgia certainly helps). This sleepy little Rocky Mountain town is a hallmark movie embodied into brick and mortar. The town square boosts public s’more roasts, bonfires, and cookie exchanges. Freaky (in a good way) right? Residence options range from little inns to grand hotels that are as festively decorated as a Hallmark movie set. Skiing and winter sports are available too if you want some spice in your coco.
Vanna Chen

Texas '23

Senior Computer Science Major Sleepy, Funny, Addicted to Kombucha