This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Whether you like them or not, record players are really cool. However, I was really skeptical about buying one because, well, everything is digital nowadays. And I could not commit to the life of me buying an entire album if I only like two to three songs. Nonetheless, I bought one, and it definitely was the best purchase I have made in a while. Regardless, here are a few reasons why you should buy a record player:

1. It Produces an Authentic Sound

When I was contemplating buying a record player, a friend of mine told me that records are real music– which didn’t make any sense to me at the time until she explained why. You see, records have authentic sounds with wavelengths embedded in the disc’s grooves, whereas digital music is just zeros and ones, instead, code.

2. It’s Fun to Collect Vinyl

I can’t lie; you don’t even need to walk into a vinyl record store to buy something. But, it is fun to go and kill a few hours and look around. I think this is my favorite part because I either find new music I didn’t know about before because there are usually discounted bins, or I buy an album I totally forgot about.

3. Adds Something to Your Space

The aesthetic is a huge selling point for most people who buy record players. Many of the Crosley brand record players are super cool-looking with different colors and patterns. But there is such a wide range of options. For instance, I bought a modern wooden record player, and it fits perfectly with my room’s setup. And it is a plus if you’re looking for something to designate a corner of your room.

Whether it’s been on your mind or not, record players are really freaking cool. You don’t need to know much about vinyl to get into collecting. And it is a hobby that is really easy to get into and hold on to for the rest of your life.

Talisa Treviño is a Junior (2025) Journalism major and Government minor in the Moody College Honors Program at The University of Texas. She is interested in audio storytelling and feature writing. When she has down time her hobbies include watching too much Bravo reality TV shows and playing Animal Crossing New Horizons.