Wellness

3 Products for Excellent Sleep in West Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Most of us living in West Campus share a common life element: the obscene noise levels that span Thursday through Saturday night every week. Some of these nights are only moderately distracting, as faint music and muted yells come from the street below, and other nights it feels like your bed was transported into the middle of a rave. After two years of living in the midst of this fray, I have found some excellent solutions to keeping the noise at bay while trying to rest up.

1. Ear plugs

1. I only use ear plugs on the loudest nights, but have found that when I do use them, I typically end up sleeping pretty peacefully. If you are pondering investing in some ear plugs, I highly recommend the ones from Hearheed, which you can check out by clicking their brand name in this article.

2. White noise machine (or phone app)

1. When West Campus is rockin but is still manageable, white noise can be an effective solution. There are free phone apps that do the trick, such as Rain Rain Sleep Sounds (my personal app of choice). Crank up the white noise loud enough, and all you’ll be hearing is the relaxing sound of nature recordings.

3. An eye mask

1. Although many apartments around here have blinds, a good eye mask can help you to sleep longer in general, while blocking out the inevitable flashing lights that somehow still manage to reach the inside of your room. Investing in a cheap yet comfortable one of these has improved my quality of sleep by leaps and bounds.

While I am sure that there are a multitude of other products that could further improve sleeping quality in West Campus apartments, these three, in particular, are what I view as a sort of West Campus starter pack. Hope these suggestions help and happy sleeping!

Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.