3 Parties You Can Throw This Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

This week is jam-packed with exciting national and local events, ranging from sports to music to politics. Some of you collegiettes are lucky enough to be right in the middle of the action, cheering on our football team as we battle the Oklahoma Sooners or cheering for Jack White at Zilker Park. For those that are not able to attend the festivities, don’t fret, you can celebrate from afar and feel like a part of the live action – minus the crowds and sweat. Get out your party hats, start the weekend early and keep the celebration going until next week’s classes.

Vice-Presidential Debate

When: Thursday, October 11 at 8 P.M.
Election day is quickly approaching and while all the focus is on the presidential candidates, their vice-presidential running mates are equally important. Instead of relying on Twitter for a play-by-play of the debate, get together with friends for a viewing party. Becoming an informed citizen and having a good time? Try Thirsty Thursday with a twist.

Food
Popcorn – Mix popcorn with your favorite ingredients, roasted peanuts, red and blue M&M’s, pretzels or raisins for a simple party snack.
Bacon Cheeseburger Quesadillas – Don’t let your guests drink on empty stomachs. Combine three American favorites – the quesadilla, the cheeseburger and bacon – with this flavorful recipe. Serve with chips and salsa.

Drink
Instead of a six-pack, surprise your guests with a patriotic sangria recipe. Or, for those that are exercising their newfound right to vote and are under 21, try a non-alcoholic version here. Try this creative drinking game while tuning into the debate, but make sure to know your limits and drink responsibly.
Your Debate Refresher:
3 c. Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi Sweet Red Wine
1 c. strawberries, sliced
1 Fuji apple, sliced
½ c. basil bunch, stems attached
Raspberry seltzer water
Combine sliced strawberries, sliced fuji apple, basil bunch, and wine in a large pitcher. Place in refrigerator for 15 minutes. Add seltzer, stir, and top with basil to garnish.

Décor:
Anything red, white and blue will do. Party City has election party supplies ranging from patriotic plates, streamers and balloons, to cardboard cutouts of presidential candidates.

[pagebreak]

Austin City Limits Music Festival

When: Friday-Sunday, October 12-14 from 1-10 P.M. daily
Let’s face it: Tickets to this annual music fest are a hot commodity, but if you weren’t able to snag one or sign up to volunteer, have no fear. Austinites and music-savvy collegiettes across the country can enjoy the action live, through tons of scheduled webcasts throughout the weekend. Dance along with the crowd to Kimbra and Metric, and rock out to headliners like Red Hot Chili Peppers and The Black Keys.

Food
Serve up some yummy snacks and appetizers, but for the main course, order in from an Austin staple like Torchy’s Tacos or Austin’s Pizza. If you’ve ever tried local favorite Kerbey Lane’s Cowboy Queso, then you know how addicting it is (and if you haven’t you’re missing out). Unlike most quesos, Kerbey’s queso layers melted cheese with pico de gallo over a hidden scoop of guacamole. How impressed would your guests be if you served a piping hot homemade bowl of it?

Drink
Nothing says cool and casual quite like a music festival in the city of Austin. In order to be a hip hostess, your watch party needs this equally hip cocktail, with a splash of local liquor and summer flavors to celebrate the last few days of 80 degrees and sunshine. Check out the non-alcoholic version here.
Watermelon Freedom
1¼ oz. Tito’s Handmade Vodka
2 oz. watermelon juice
½ oz. lime juice
Ginger ale
Garnish: watermelon slice
Combine vodka, watermelon juice, and lime juice in glass filled with ice. Stir and top with ginger ale. Garnish with watermelon slice.

Décor
Buy a set of plain wristbands from any local party store and decorate them to look like ACL wristbands that your guests can wear at the party. Channel your inner hipster and make mixed CDs with songs from ACL bands to give to your friends as take-home goodies. If you need a little inspiration, check out Fuse’s ACL playlist on Spotify.

[pagebreak]

TX vs. OU

When: Saturday, October 20 at 11 A.M.
The Red River Rivalry is the biggest football game of the season. Even if you’re not heading to the State Fair in Dallas, watch the Longhorns and Sooners face off from your living room in style.

Food
No football watch party is complete without some all-American barbecue. You don’t need celebrity chef grilling skills or a backyard barbecue pit to serve some good grub; hot dogs, hamburgers and these hot wings are super easy fixes. Then for dessert, celebrate our sweet victory with some Longhorn decorated cupcakes (since you didn’t get to decorate a cooler for the game, of course).

Drink
Since kickoff is before noon try a twist on a mimosa, the classic brunch cocktail, by swapping champagne for the quintessential tailgate beverage. 
Beermosa
1/3 orange juice
2/3 beer

For another simple yet refreshing beer try this ever-popular British drink that combines beer and citrus-flavored soda.
Shandy
1 1/2 cups of seltzer or ginger ale
1 beer, pale ale is best
2 tablespoons of frozen limeade
Combine soda, beer and limeade. Garnish with lemon slices.

Décor
Burnt orange anything and everything. Don your cutest tailgate dress, slip into those cowboy boots and get your horns up! Also, don’t forget to enter our giveaway for an adorable school spirited striped shirt and boots.

Sources:
Cosmopolitan 
Tito’s Handmade Vodka
Martha Stewart
Confections of a Foodie Bride
Eating Well

ACL photo courtesy of AP photo/Jack Plunkett

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.