10 Feminist Books You Need to Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Whether reading is your favorite hobby, or picking up a book is a foreign concept, there are many amazing books that promote feminism available for us to read. I gain so much inspiration from reading about others’ experiences, knowledge, and opinions. When it comes feminism, it can be painful and hard to do it alone. Whether the book is about cultural feminism, memoirs, classic literature or poetry, there is truth and content in each book we pick up and read. Here are 10 of my favorite books that have influenced the feminist I’ve become.

1. Headscarves and Hymens: Why the Middle East Needs a Sexual Revolution by: Mona Elthaway

1. Bad Feminist by: Roxanne Gay

1. Sex Object by: Jessica Valenti

1. Men Explain Things to Me by: Rebecca Solnit

1. We Should All Be Feminists by: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

1. The Handmaid’s Tale by: Margaret Atwood

1. Milk & Honey by: Rupi Kaur

1. The Awakening by: Kate Chopin

1. The Color Purple by: Alice Walker

1. New American Best Friend by: Olivia Gatwood

1. Rad Women Worldwide by: Kate Schatz, Miriam Klein Stahl

Journalism major at the University of Texas at Austin. Lover of coffee, the outdoors, and hearing my own voice. 
Socialite, blogger, perfectionist; suffering from fomo and currently attending the University of Texas at Austin. Advertising major and member of Zeta Tau Alpha fraternity.