Style > Decor

10 Eco-Friendly Alternatives to Common Household Items

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Are you looking for ways to reduce your carbon footprint and make your home more eco-friendly? It’s easier than you think! By making small changes in your household items, you can help reduce waste and promote sustainability.

1. Reusable Water Bottles: Ditch plastic water bottles and invest in reusable ones. Not only is it eco-friendly, but it can also save you money in the long run.
  2. Beeswax Wraps: Say goodbye to plastic wrap and switch to beeswax wraps. They are washable and reusable, making them a sustainable option for wrapping food.
  3. Reusable Grocery Bags: Avoid single-use plastic bags and bring reusable grocery bags to the store. You can find a variety of stylish and durable options online or at your local grocery store.
  4. Cloth Napkins: Reduce your waste and opt for cloth napkins instead of paper ones. They come in a variety of colors and designs and can be easily washed and reused.
  5. Bamboo Toothbrushes: Say goodbye to plastic toothbrushes and switch to a more eco-friendly option like bamboo. They are biodegradable and sustainable, making them a great choice for the environment.
  6. Glass Food Storage Containers: Replace plastic food storage containers with glass ones. They are reusable and don’t contain harmful chemicals found in plastic containers.
  7. Plant-Based Cleaning Products: Use plant-based cleaning products instead of harsh chemicals to reduce your impact on the environment. Brands like Method and Mrs. Meyers offer a variety of eco-friendly cleaning products.

By incorporating these eco-friendly alternatives into your household items, you can take small steps towards protecting our planet and reducing your carbon footprint. It’s never too late to make a difference!

Vanna Chen

Texas '23

Senior Computer Science Major Sleepy, Funny, Addicted to Kombucha