Your Ultimate Skin Survival Guide: Winter Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As the seasons change we have to adjust our beauty regimes accordingly. Women want supple sun-kissed skin that looks dewy from all angles. To achieve this look you will have to buy products that have to contain sunscreen, a moisturizer, and essential oils. Not to mention you must also invest in a good moisturizer for your body and lips because they are very important too! To make sure that your skin is on point for the winter time, continue reading because these tips are life savers!

Winter Dry Spell

Many ladies are faced with the issue of drier skin when the weather starts to get cooler in the fall. As the weather progresses onto the winter season, most women are trying to fend off dry skin with any product that is in arm’s reach. Thankfully, we have some time to go over the basics. According to Health.com, cool air strips the skin of the oil that it naturally produces to lock in moisture. This will lead to itchy skin, Psoriasis, and severe dry skin; which is the exact opposite of “soft as a baby’s bottom skin.” Health.com also states that, lack of moisture and heating that we use to keep warm will draw the remaining mositure out of the skin, leaving it prone to dryness. Now that we know what is causing our skin to dry out it is time to prepare our shopping list. The first item that is a must-have for the winter is sunscreen because even though the sun isn’t visible ultra violet rays are still peeking through the clouds. Here at Her Campus Temple, we want to ensure that you are able to have supple skin all year round so get your pen and paper ready to create a shopping list!

The Shopping List

1.   

Sun is a MUST all year round. Just because the sun isn’t visible doesn’t mean that harmful ultraviolet rays aren’t peaking out at you. Not only can ultraviolet rays cause skin cancer, but it also ages the skin as well. Try Banana Boat Ultra Defense which has SPF 50, absorbs easily into the skin, and is $7.94 online at Walmart.

2.   

The next step is a great moisturizer for the face as well as the body. Cetaphil Facial Moisturizer is a moisturizer for all skin types because it is a “light moisturizer” that restores moisture in the skin and also has SPF 15. According to customer reviews the product is “Better than department store moisturizers” and costs $12.45 at Walmart. Another great item that can be purchased at Walgreens for $8.49 is Olay Silky Berry Body Lotion, which smells yummy. The product has rose oil and almond oil in it which are essentials that will leave your skin looking and feeling vibrant. The reviews state that the lotion lasts 24-hours and leaves the skin feeling soft.

3.   

An amazing essential oil to invest in is avocado oil. This lovely beauty secret has omega-3 fatty oils and vitamin e which helps prevent skin inflammation. According to Livestrong, avocado oil “promotes skin elasticity and promotes water content.” Avocado oil is a great natural solution for dry skin. Avocado oil can be purchased at iherb for $12.22.

4.   

Lastly, don’t forget those lips! Carmex Moisture Plus Hydrating Lip balm only costs $2.99 at CVS and for such a bargained price it definitely delivers. Not only does it have SPF 15 but the lip balm heals and protects the lips. Carmex Moisture Plus is an ideal lip balm for all year round because it has a sheer finish and ensures that your pout is always on point! 

I am a student at Temple University and I aspire to be a Journalist. My passion in life is writing because I have the ability to express myself creatively through words. I enjoy writing poetry and I especially enjoy being a staff writer for the Fashion and Beauty section for Her Campus Temple! My missions in life are to be an inspiration to young girls, help others, and encourage young women and girls to feel beautiful!
Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.