WHIP: Temple’s Student-Run Radio Station with Allison Salmon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Temple is home to hundreds of different clubs, activities, and creative outlets. The Temple Radio Station, WHIP, however, may just be one of the most impressive. Entirely student-run, with the exception of one radio-lovin’ faculty member, Professor John DiCarlo, the station has twenty-eight shows currently on-air and is always looking to add more.

I spoke with Allison Salmon, a junior media studies and production major who has been involved with WHIP since her freshman year. Allison holds the position of Program Director/Music Director and is on the website staff. She also hosts a few classic rock, alternative rock, and acoustic shows called Ramble On Radio, Unplugged, and The Core. After spending the summer in Los Angeles, Allison realized what career path she wanted to take, thanks to the help of WHIP, Temple’s MSP program, and her internship in LA.

“We program entertainment, news, sports, and music pretty much all day every day,” Salmon said.

According to their website,  WHIP “exists to provide students with the opportunity to learn about the radio profession and practice their craft in a studio on campus in Temple’s TECH Center. Whether you’re live on the air, in the studio producing a show or a commercial or out at a local business selling an advertisement, you’ll get hands-on radio experience in a deadline-driven environment.”

WHIP is always looking for people to get involved. With departments that vary from sales to sports to engineering and even on-air opportunities, there’s a place for everyone at WHIP.  

“To be on-air, you have to send a one minute air-check of a show you’d be interested in, or you can also pitch your own show. But we have a lot more ways to get involved than just on air,” Salmon said. “We have a production department, promotions department, a webstaff, which is really cool because you get to go out to concerts for free, a sales department, social media, video, and a few more. There’s a lot of ways to get involved.”

If you’re interested in performing your or your band’s music on-air, there are opportunities for you here too.

“We’re always looking for local bands and artists to come in for interviews and to play your music. A lot of people don’t know this and there’s so many Temple bands and artists that go unrecognized because they don’t know where to find outlets,” Salmon said.

Tune into the show on the iHeartRadio website or app by searching WHIP, or on the RadioFX app. If you’re interested in performing on-air, reach out to Allison at asalmon@WHIPradiotu.com and check the official website for more information.

You can follow Allison on Instagram and Twitter @asayyyy.

Emily Salmon is a Public Relations student at Temple University. Originally from the suburbs of Philadelphia, Emily spends most of her time soaking up city-life. Her passions include fashion, food, writing, traveling, photography, and animals.
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus