medical supplies
medical supplies
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness

Wellness Precautions to Defend Against COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It’s been over a month since quarantine has become our new normal. Leaving the house is not something we do unless it’s an absolute necessity. For most of us, we’re sitting in our houses all day, just hoping for some nice weather so that we can take a walk around the block and feel some sort of normalcy. Despite these chaotic circumstances, it is easy to make small changes that will help protect yourself and others, as well as help reduce the spread of COVID-19.

Here are five wellness precautions that you can take to defend against COVID-19: 

Wash your hands

This may sound like a silly, menial task that we’ve been told to do ever since we can remember — but it’s one of the most important steps to take in staying healthy. The Coronavirus can live on surfaces for multiple days — specifically metal surfaces — so washing your hands frequently (and correctly!) will get rid of any germs that are on your hands. In order to get a clean, proper wash, we should be washing our hands with warm or hot water for at least 20 seconds. This includes scrubbing every inch of your hand, in between your fingers and under your fingernails. 

Wear gloves and a mask 

If you are venturing outside of your home to grab some groceries or run other errands for essential items, it is recommended that you wear gloves and a mask. The gloves will protect your hands from any harmful germs that can be on surfaces such as a grocery cart, a door handle, or even products that you’re buying. The CDC recommends that everyone wear a mask when they go out in public. However, this is not to prevent healthy people from getting the virus, it is to prevent the spread of the virus. COVID-19 sufferers can be carriers of the virus for up to 14 days while showing no symptoms, and they can easily pass the virus along — especially to the elderly or immunocompromised. If everyone wears a mask then there is much less risk for the spreading of the virus, and you can feel good knowing you are helping protect those among us who are the most vulnerable to this virus.

Clorox Wipes

Clorox is your new best friend. Grab a box of Clorox Wipes and consistently wipe down your countertops, kitchen table, fridge handle and any other surfaces that you regularly touch — this includes your cell phone! As I said before, the virus can live on surfaces for days at a time, so making sure that you’re keeping a clean household can reduce your risk of contracting the disease. While there’s no need to become neurotic about cleaning, regular wipe downs are an easy way to give yourself peace of mind, as well as curb the potential spread of the virus.

Social Distancing

As we have been told to do for weeks now, make sure that you’re taking social distancing seriously. Don’t go out to see your friends just because you’re bored, just stay home with your family like the rest of the world has been told to do. Make sure that you’re maintaining a six-foot distance (at least) from other people when you do go outside. Social distancing is the key to halting the spread of the disease, so the sooner we all work together to do this, then hopefully the sooner the virus will be gone. While this is arguably the most difficult thing to do right now, as we are getting antsy inside and want to see our friends and extended family members, it is important to realize that social distancing is the biggest and most important way we can “flatten the curve,” keep vulnerable community members safe and prevent overwhelming our healthcare workers and hospitals.

Monitor yourself 

Take the time to learn about what the symptoms are for this virus, and just keep an eye on yourself. If you begin to feel under the weather it’s important to isolate yourself to keep others safe. If you begin to have any of the symptoms of COVID-19, don’t brush it under the rug. Take your health — and the health of others — seriously. It might turn out that you aren’t sick at all, but at least you made the effort and isolated yourself from others to make sure that you were 100% okay. 

Please don’t take these tips lightly, as they can have major effects on your health and the health of others.

We’re all scared about what is happening and what might happen, but if we take a deep breath and try to be as safe as possible, then we can eliminate the risk to ourselves and to others, and give ourselves peace of mind knowing we are doing everything in our power and control to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and curb the outbreaks.

Here are some helpful links to check out: 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/index.html#cdc-chat-bot-open

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-04-13-20/index.html

Hi!! I am a 20-year old Communications Studies Major here at Temple. Most of the time I am probably watching The Office or Criminal Minds and hanging out with my friends. I love to write and I am so excited to be a part of Her Campus!
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.