This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

2023 is finally here! This signifies the start of new opportunities, new memories, and overall a brand new you! So why not kick off the new year with a new look? Keep reading if you’d like to see what TikTok makeup trends are worth adding to your everyday makeup routine that’ll have you looking your best this year.  

Looking dewy and moisturized is a must these days so, the first step would be a glowy base. It makes your skin look amazing and allows for a much smoother makeup application. This can be achieved with a good moisturizing toner, facial cream, and a smooth sunscreen that leaves no white cast. One thing I’ve noticed is Korean skincare has been trending a lot on all social media platforms and its easy to see why.  

It aims to create healthy and well-balanced skin to achieve that dewy natural look. It also happens to layer perfectly under makeup. I recently picked up the Beauty of Joseon Sunscreen That went viral on TikTok, and it became a staple in my skincare and makeup routine. It went on smoothly and left no white cast. It made my concealer application seamless and allowed it to melt right into the skin.  

@christxiee

The new beauty of joseon sunsreen try on with UV light mirror🫢

♬ original sound – Christie X

Another dewy favorite I’ve tried is the Halo Liquid Glow Filter by Elf Cosmetics. It acts as a tinted illuminator that gives the appearance of blurred skin while keeping it looking glowy and fresh like a filter! Since adding this to my everyday makeup routine, I’ve received so many compliments on how good my skin looks. The best part is that it’s only $14, making it affordable and worth adding to your makeup collection. (Check out another HCTU review of this product here!

Following an illuminated, glistening base is setting it correctly. A recent powder technique that went viral and changed the game for many makeup enthusiasts is pressing translucent powder into the skin with a powder puff rather than baking and then dusting with a big brush. Personally, I think the new technique looks way better and lasts longer than baking as it brightens the under eye and helps with creasing.  

I think we can all agree that 2022 was the year many of us rediscovered the power of blush. Whether it be powder blush for a matte finish or liquid blush for a soft, natural finish, I can say the right blush helps elevate a look. My personal favorite is the Rare Beauty blush!  One thing that recently started becoming more popular is placing the blush near the outer corners of your under-eye, and towards your cheekbones.  

I included this trend because I think it makes such a big difference rather than applying it directly to your cheeks. It lifts the face and gives the appearance of a flushed more youthful, doll-like look which looks amazing. This technique looks good with a natural makeup look or a more matte look, making it worth a try.  

Last but not least is eyelashes. One technique I liked was taking individual lashes or clusters and only applying them to the outer corners of your eye. While this technique can be a little difficult and time consuming if you’re not an expert at applying lashes, I firmly believe the results are worth it especially if you’re going for a more natural look. It genuinely looks like your real lashes!  

I also think it’s easier to manipulate your eye shape rather than using strip lashes which won’t always be flattering for every eye shape. However, if you really like strip lashes, I recommend trying manga or spiky lashes. My personal favorites are the Geeneiya Lashes and Losha Lashes  from Amazon! I think they look good on everyone’s eye shape and give the eye a more doll-like and feminine appearance. While the lashes may look weird, it’s worth trying. Manga lashes give the eye a whole new look while still appearing natural.  

These TikTok makeup trends have been huge game changers for me and I hope they can be for you too. Impress everyone around you this year with these simple makeup techniques and elevate your look! You will not be disappointed.  

Hi! I’m a sophomore and I’ll be writing for the fashion and beauty section!